Why is `isDepthDataDeliverySupported` returning false on an iPad Pro using `builtInDualWideCamera`?

I am trying to use the AVCamFilter Apple sample project discussed in this WWDC session to get depth data using the dual camera. The project has built-in features to get depth data from the dual camera.

When the sample project was written builtInDualWideCamera didn't exist yet, and the project only tries to get builtInDualCamera and builtInWideAngleCamera. When I run the project on my iPad Pro it doesn't show any of the depth-related UI because the device doesn't have a builtInDualCamera device. So I added builtInDualWideCamera in to the videoDeviceDiscoverySession, and it seems to get that device properly, but isDepthDataDeliverySupported is returning false still.

Is there some reason why isDepthDataDeliverySupported is false even though I seem to be using a dual camera device?

I know the device has a builtInLiDARDepthCamera but I wanted to try out the dual camera depth data to see how it performs for shorter distances. I wouldn't have expected the dual camera depth data delivery to be made unavailable on the device just because the LiDAR sensor is already available.

Using iPadOS 17.5.1, iPad Pro 11-inch 4th generation.

The depth feature of this sample app works fine on an iPhone 15 I tested. Also tried on an iPhone 15 Pro and it worked even though that device also has a LiDAR sensor, so the issue is presumably not related to the fact that the iPad Pro has a LiDAR sensor.

I've also posted this question on StackOverflow.

Hi there. We do not support stereo (wide + ultrawide, aka dual wide) depth data delivery on iPads. We do support it on iPhones though.

We also support IR-based depth (TrueDepth) on the front camera, and LiDAR depth, as you already discovered.

Thanks for the question.

Oh, thanks.

Is that documented anywhere? Would have saved me some time if I had seen that earlier.

We don't typically list out which features are supported by which cameras on which devices. The matrix would be pretty unwieldy. But you can absolutely check this via API.

Enumerate the AVCaptureDevice's -formats, querying their supportedDepthDataFormats property. If there are no formats that yield a non-empty supportedDepthDataFormats array, then the device doesn't support the feature in general.

Why is `isDepthDataDeliverySupported` returning false on an iPad Pro using `builtInDualWideCamera`?

Q