Using Passkeys on Apple sites

I have two AppleID's. I use one with my Apple Developer account and the other is my primary AppleID that I mainly use for everything else. In the past, I have used them on separate MacBooks, but I am now trying to consolidate everything onto one MacBook.

I have created a Passkey for my Apple.com store account and that works well. However, when I try to log into an Apple developer related site (e.g. developer.apple.com), it initially offers to use my personal Passkey with an option to use a different AppleID. When I select "use a different AppleID" and select my developer AppleID, it only allows me to log in with a password or with a QR code using a Passkey on a different device.

Is it possible to set up a Passkey for my Apple developer account on the same MacBook that already has a passkey set up for my Apple store account? If so, what is the process to create it. If it helps, both of my AppleID's are members of the same Family.

Thanks.

Answered by Apple Designer in 789392022

I'm glad to hear you prefer using passkeys! A passkey (lowercase 🙂) for an Apple ID itself is only available in the iCloud Keychain for the Apple ID it's tied to. This unfortunately means you can currently only have one Apple ID passkey on a device at a time.

Accepted Answer

I'm glad to hear you prefer using passkeys! A passkey (lowercase 🙂) for an Apple ID itself is only available in the iCloud Keychain for the Apple ID it's tied to. This unfortunately means you can currently only have one Apple ID passkey on a device at a time.

Thanks. I was starting to think this might be the current answer. However, it would be a great future objective to make this a feature of iCloud Family Sharing.

Using Passkeys on Apple sites

Q