Xcode Previews Fail to Build for all Views in Project

Hello. I've been looking all over this forum and stack and done some internet searches but unfortunately have found nothing to assist in fixing an error I'm receiving on my project in Xcode.

Every view shows an error identical to the one shown above, only with that specific file name displayed instead. When I go to fix the error, this is the error detail displayed:

== PREVIEW UPDATE ERROR:

LinkDylibError: Failed to build TabBar.swift

Linking failed: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

ld: warning: search path '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks-iphonesimulator' not found
    ld: unsupported mach-o filetype (only MH_OBJECT and MH_DYLIB can be linked) in '/Users/brycemchose/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Service_Square_App-dnblqgabcrxprhaizjtkcvouyzln/Build/Intermediates.noindex/Previews/iphonesimulator/Service Square App/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/Service Square.app/Service Square'
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Note that I can run the app successfully to a simulator or to my iPhone, but cannot see the preview within the Xcode canvas. I've been blindly developing the last two app updates, pushing the changes to the simulator and then tweaking the code based on the simulated version. I can keep doing this for a little while but it is significantly slower and more difficult, especially to fix small bugs and make tiny changes, so I'd really like to see if anyone has an idea for how I can get the preview back to being properly displayed. I'm brand new to this whole thing and have no idea how to fix this issue, so I'd be really grateful if someone with more experience could offer some suggestions! Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems getting previews working. The best next step will be to file a feedback with diagnostics so we can take a look. A sample project to reproduce the issue with is a huge help too, but I realize can at times be tricky to produce!

Steps to generate helpful diagnostics:

1. Download and install the logging profile on all devices involved. Instructions and profiles are available here: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/?name=swift
  2. Reproduce the issue
  3. Click the "Diagnostics" button in the error banner in Previews' Canvas area (or if the banner is missing you can use the menu: Editor > Canvas > Diagnostics)
  4. In the sheet that appears, click "Generate Report" in the bottom left of the sheet
  5. Attach (or make from the folder) the resulting zip file to the bug report (will be named something like previews-diagnostics-0123456789.zip)
  6. Generate the sysdiagnose(s) and attach those too

I've sent this information through Feedback Assistant. Thanks!