Major regressions in Apple Watch development support with watchOS 10.5 and Xcode 15.4

I've reached a point where I can no longer make any progress diagnosing the issues that have popped up with Apple Watch development support. To hopefully help draw attention and focus to the severity of this problem, I'm gathering all related threads into this single thread.

Summary of problems

There are several, possibly related, issues at play:

• Xcode is not discovering Apple Watches. This means it's not possible to deploy apps to Apple Watches that aren't already provisioned with Xcode. I've confirmed this behavior with a watch running watchOS 10.0.
  • The logging profile for watchOS has expired. It's no longer possible to pull logs via Console from Apple Watches.
  • AppIntent-based complications on watchOS 10.5 no longer load, staying stuck in a "placeholder" state. This can be reproduced with the Backyard Birds demo app.
  • It's no longer possible to debug widget extensions on Apple Watch hardware.

Feedback submitted

FB13758427: No longer able to connect to Apple Watch from Xcode

I was attempting to test another regression related to AppIntents no longer working on watchOS 10.5. To confirm the behavior had regressed since earlier versions of watchOS, I set up one of my older Apple Watches that is still running watchOS 10.0.

After wiping the watch and repairing it with one of my test devices (iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 17.4.1), I’m unable to get the Apple Watch to appear in Xcode’s Devices & Simulators manager. The phone is connected via USB cable, and the phone appears as a Connected phone, but the watch does not appear. My Apple Watch Ultra that I use as my daily driver does appear as a remote device (the globe icon is next to it), but the Apple Watch 10.0 does not appear.

Details about the older watch:

• Version: 10.0 21R5341c
  • Model: A2478

Not being able to test on other Apple Watches is severely limiting my ability to isolate and confirm the regression in AppIntent support that can be reproduced in the Backyard Birds demo app.

Note that the 10.0 watch does actually appear in the Console app, but with a warning sign next to it. The 10.0 watch also appears twice. Clicking the warning sign does not reveal any information about why the warning is appearing, but after ~5 seconds I do get the following error in Console.app: “The user has not responded to the pairing request on 'Headless’ Respond to the Trust prompt on the device.” There is no trust prompt on the device.

FB13756074: WatchOS logging profile is no longer valid

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/?platform=watchos is no longer valid. See attached error that occurs when attempting to install the profile onto my Apple Watch Ultra.

It seems that without this I’m unable to get any logs off of my Apple Watch, which is making testing/development quite difficult.

FB13758450: AppIntent-based widgets no longer render on watchOS 10.5

AppIntent-based complications no longer get beyond a placeholder state on watchOS. This can be reproduced with the Backyard Birds demo app, which uses AppIntent-based widget configurations for the watchOS complications. AppIntent-based complications did appear to work in previous versions of watchOS 10, but I’m unable to confirm this with a 10.0 Watch I have due to FB13758427.

To reproduce

• deploy the attached unmodified Backyard Birds app to a watch running watchOS 10.5.
  • add a Backyard Birds complication to a watch face.

Expected behavior: the widget shows live data Actual behavior: the complication never leaves a placeholder state. See the attached screenshot for the state the widget is stuck in.

FB13758490: PacketLogger no longer logs packets

PacketLogger used to log BTLE packets as they were received and transmitted on a macOS machine. Since updating to 14.5 Beta (23F5064f) however, PacketLogger no longer logs packets on macOS at all. Upon starting a new session, the interface remains empty.

PacketLogger is still able to log packets from a connected iOS device.