Camera stops when the path of our SPA changes

I'm not sure if I just missed a recent breaking change, but we are having an issue with the camera in our single page app on iOS 17.4.1 in Safari. We can open the camera and display it to the user using getUserMedia. However, if the path of the site changes at all (for example, the user clicks a button to opens a sidepanel which results in the path in the browser changing) the camera goes black, even if the video element is still being displayed.

I can see in the browser that the camera has stopped, and the user has to re-enable it manually by tapping "Start Using Camera".

Any idea's what could be going on here?

• I am experiencing a similar problem on IOS 17.14.1 when trying to access the camera using getUserMedia. The camera feed goes black, but I am still able to capture images even though the live preview is not working. It seems the camera is functioning behind the scenes, but the video feed to display a live preview is not working properly. Has anyone else run into this? Any tips on how to resolve would be appreciated.

Add a Comment

Replies

Seems to be a bug in Webkit that'll be fixed in some future release (either another 17.4.x release, or 17.5) https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=269846