Compatibility Inquiry: 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller on macOS

Hi there,

I'm reaching out to inquire about compatibility restrictions regarding the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller on macOS systems, particularly its functionality with third-party applications such as Construct 3, a browser-based game development software.

As an indie game developer, I recently acquired the 8BitDo Ultimate controller for its touted compatibility and functionality. While I've primarily used it in Bluetooth mode on my Mac without encountering any significant issues, I've stumbled upon a peculiar problem when using the controller while developing projects in Construct 3, specifically within the preview mode of the game engine.

In attempting to test my projects using Construct 3's preview feature, the controller fails to detect any of my inputs. This is particularly confounding as the controller operates flawlessly when I export a proper macOS build of the game from the engine and play it externally.

To further investigate, I experimented with Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons, which surprisingly worked seamlessly without encountering any issues during testing within Construct 3's preview mode.

Upon reaching out to both Construct 3 and 8BitDo customer support, I was informed that the compatibility restriction with third-party controllers on macOS is due to limitations imposed by Apple, which are beyond their control. Consequently, I sought assistance from Apple Developer Program Support, who directed me to contact the Code-level Technical Support team or inquire on the developer forum.

The lack of compatibility with crucial development tools like Construct 3 significantly hampers my workflow as an indie developer, and I'm eager to find a resolution to this issue.

Thank you for your time, and I'm hopeful that someone within the community might be able to provide guidance on this matter.

Replies

such as Construct 3, a browser-based game development software.

Does the Construct 3 preview mode operate entirely within a web browser? If so, which web browser are you using to run the preview mode?

If I open the first search result for 'gamepad tester' in Safari, it immediately detects my 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller connected via USB-C (tested on Sonoma 14.4). This is expected because Safari supports any gamepad that is supported by the native macOS Game Controller framework, which includes the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller.

Hi, thanks for the response.

Yes, Construct 3 as a whole works within a web browser. I primarily use it with Google Chrome.

Regarding the gamepad tester that you suggested, just tested it out.

Surprisingly, The gamepad tester application seems to dedect my 8BitDo Controller in Safari when it's connected using Bluetooth. If I try to open the same tester in other browsers such as Google Chrome or Firefox, it doesn't seem to detect it, no matter if it's through USB-C or Bluetooth.

The good news is, when I try to open my projects in Safari within Construct 3, amazingly, it seems to detect the controller when in preview mode. As mentioned earlier, I also have Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons with me. When I tested them, they seemed to detect and work properly with Construct 3's preview mode in all browsers.

The thing to note is that previously, I had a Windows system, I never quite encountered this kind of controller issue in any of the browsers while using the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller.

As such, I believe the issue lies with the lack of support for third-party controllers on browsers such as Chrome or Firefox on mac.

Though the BitDo Ultimate controller seems to detect and work properly in Safari, I'm not sure if I will be able to continue using it on Safari just because I'm currently encountering different issues while using Construct 3 in it. When I run a project in preview mode, it executes properly, but if I try to run the same project again while in preview mode, it doesn't seem to load.

Guess I will probably have to bring this up in the Construct 3 forums separately. In the meantime, if anyone can suggest a solution enabling controller support for Chrome/ Firefox or how i can fix the mentioned loading error, that would be great. Thanks once again.

I do not believe Firefox, Google Chrome, or other Chromium-based browsers use the native macOS Game Controller framework. As such these browsers must add support for gamepads individually, and Nintendo controllers are popular enough that they get supported by all.

If you are running macOS Sonoma, you can try turning on the 'Increase controller compatibility' option for your 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller. Open the system Settings app, navigate to the Game Controller settings, click on your 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller in the list, use the (+) button at the bottom of the left column to add app-specific customizations for Firefox/Chrome, and toggle ON the 'Increase controller compatibility' switch. This will result in the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller appearing as an Xbox controller to Firefox/Chrome, if Firefox/Chrome support Xbox controllers.

IT WORCKED!! :D

Thank so much for the tip, never knew such option even existed, now it works seamlessly in both crome and firefox :)