PHPhotoLibrary.requestAuthorization just returns .denied on macOS

I am trying to implement the ability to save a photo to the user’s photo library on macOS. When I call PHPhotoLibrary.requestAuthorization(for: .addOnly) I just get a .denied status. The user is not prompted for access.

I tried adding these entitlements: com.apple.security.personal-information.photos-library, com.apple.security.assets.pictures.read-write. I tried turning off sandboxing entirely.

I tried saving despite getting the authorization denied, but unsurprisingly that gives me this error: Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=3311

I can almost do what i want with NSSharingService(named: .addToIPhoto), but that has the side effect of launching Photos.

Is there a trick to getting PHPhotoLibrary.requestAuthorization(for: .addOnly) to work?

Thanks.

John

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of johnbrayton Down vote post of johnbrayton

Replies

Have you added an NSPhotoLibraryAddUsageDescription to your app? There's some more info at these links

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/information_property_list/nsphotolibraryaddusagedescription https://developer.apple.com/documentation/photokit/delivering_an_enhanced_privacy_experience_in_your_photos_app

Yes, I have both NSPhotoLibraryAddUsageDescription and NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription in my Info.plist:

<key>NSPhotoLibraryAddUsageDescription</key>
<string>photo library additions</string>
<key>NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription</key>
<string>photo library usage</string>

Have you, by any chance, added amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 to your boot-args? It is known to interfere with the TCC permission system, and the OS stops displaying the permission dialogs to users. You can remove the amfi_get_out_of_my_way argument, reboot, run your app once so the OS displays the alert and you accept, and you can add the amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 argument back.

Thank you for the response, Leo! The problem was me being silly. When I thought I had added the com.apple.security.personal-information.photos-library entitlement, I was wrong. I added it to the wrong place. 🤦‍♂️