SwiftUI: .ignoresSafeArea() not working?

I have the following code:

import SwiftUI

@main
struct MyApp: App {
    var body: some Scene {
        WindowGroup {
            GeometryReader { geometry in
                LocationPickerView()
                    .frame(maxWidth: geometry.size.width, maxHeight: geometry.size.height)
                    .ignoresSafeArea()
            }
        }
    }
}

My goal is to have my LocationPickerView() take up the entire screen regardless of the orientation of the device. A LocationPickerView() is a custom view I built:

struct LocationView: UIViewRepresentable {
    func makeUIView(context: Context) -> ARView {
        let arView = ARView()

return arView
    }

func updateUIView(_ uiView: ARView, context: Context) { }
}

However, I have a problem. The safe area is not being ignored. At first glance, I thought this was because the frame was already set by a "constant" value from geometry.

So, I thought I would flip the order of when I ignore the safe area and when I set the frame. This only resulted in a much weirder configuration. At first, the view does take up the entire screen. However, when I change the device to another orientation, the view stays the original height and width it was without updating, despite using GeometryReader.

What is happening here? I am certain this is valid behavior, but I don't understand why it is and how to fix it. I am trying to make things as simple as possible and thought I would add the frame and safe area options in my main struct, in an attempt to keep that code out of every view.

This feels like an easy fix, but I can't figure it out.