For goodness sake, why does Xcode keep doing this?

This has been a continual headache for months, ever since Xcode 15 came out.

Everything is working just fine, you just made a code change, built and run it, and Xcode installs to the phone nice and quickly and runs it.

But them bamn, next time you do the same thing, Xcode displays "Installing <name of app> to <name of phone>" forever. It just never finishes.

I've had this occur numerous times every day, with different versions of Xcode, multiple different iPhones, running multiple different versions of iOS, and even with different Macs. Always the same. It'll be working just fine, then out of the blue, without changing anything, Xcode will suddenly just decide to get into this state where it just hang and during installation, and won't recover even after terminating and restarting Xcode.

Please somebody from Apple, what is going on? Is there a work around, how can it stopped from happening?

Deleting the app doesn't fix it, restarting Xcode doesn't fix it. Unplugging the usb cable doesn't fix it, Restarting the phone doesn't fix it. What will?

Wasted sooo much time with this happening every day for that several months.

I've asked this question before and was met with total silence. Must I really raise an official support ticket to get an answer to this? Surely I'm not the only one this is happening to?

And if its not "Installing <name of app> to <name of phone>" that hangs forever then its "Attaching to <Name of app> on <name of phone" that hangs forever, usually both at the same time.

(Currently running Xcode 15.2, iPhones are connected via usb).

Replies

I can offer some suggestions that might help in resolving or mitigating the issue:

Clean Derived Data: Try cleaning the derived data for your project. In Xcode, go to File > Workspace Settings, and then click on the arrow next to the Derived Data path to open it in Finder. Delete the contents of the folder.

Restart Devices: Restart your Mac, iPhone, and Xcode. Sometimes, issues can be resolved by restarting all the relevant devices.

Check Console Logs: Open the Console application on your Mac (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and check for any error messages related to Xcode or your app during the installation process.

Check Provisioning Profiles: Ensure that your provisioning profiles are up to date and properly configured. You can refresh them in Xcode under Preferences > Accounts > Apple IDs > View Details.

Check App Signing: Verify that your app is signed correctly. Check the signing settings in your Xcode project and make sure the signing identity and provisioning profile are valid.

Update Xcode: Ensure you are using the latest stable version of Xcode. If you're not already on Xcode 15.2, consider updating to see if the issue persists.

Diagnostic Reports: If the issue persists, you might find more detailed information in the macOS Diagnostic Reports. You can find them by going to Console.app > Reports > User Diagnostic Reports. Look for crash reports related to Xcode.

Thanks @BornP for answering and making some suggestions, more than any of the Apple folks have done.

Unfortunately none of these do anything to rectify the issue. Once again I'm unable to do anything, things were going fine one minute, then the next Xcode threw one of these episodes. I have 6 iPhones and its stopped working with all of them, that was several hours ago and since then just cannot install/run the app at all (same app as was working just before, no changed made).

I also have 3 Macs and have observed this on all 3 of them. The one thing they all have in common is they all have Xcode 15 on them. None of these issues started until I started using Xcode 15 beta, its been present in every Xcode 15 beta and every Xcode 15 release version, including 15.2.

I'm going to have to raise an official Apple support ticket, my MacBooks been out of action all day long because of this.

Must I really raise an official support ticket to get an answer to this?

You could try that, but (a) they probably won’t be able to reproduce it, and (b) if they do reproduce it, they’ll say “That looks like it might be a bug. Please report a bug. Thanks. Bye.”

• Exactly, unfortunately, already experienced that several times in the past.

Add a Comment