Xcode debugger doesn't pause on breakpoints (simulator SDK < iOS 17)

Hello. I'm seeing an inconsistent behavior where breakpoints I set in my (Swift) iOS app behave normally when I'm debugging on a device or on a simulator running iOS 17.x, but when I try using simulators of iOS 16 or 15 the breakpoints get ignored completely. I also observe that the breakpoints remain solid blue and do NOT adopt the dotted blue outline, as experienced by other users.

I've seen a few posts on here and on SO about the general issue of ignored breakpoints (with no conclusive answer AFAIK), but I haven't seen any where the behavior varies with the SDK being used. The behavior is repeatable and predictable (within the same app at least). I am not adding the breakpoints after building/running, and I'm sure the logic reaches the lines with the breakpoints (and again, whenever I switch to an iOS 17 simulator, execution does pause as expected with the exact same breakpoints).

Things I've tried and looked into:

• Clean up project build folder
  • Delete and re-install simulators (iOS 16.4 and 15.5)
  • Deleted the entire derived data directory, as well as the CoreSimulator one.
  • Confirm the build configuration is Debug, and the "Debug executable" option is checked.
  • inspect various build flags mentioned in other posts:

{Swift compiler - Code generation - Optimization level - Debug: -0none; Debug information format: DWARF (I also tried DWARF with dSYM with no impact)}.

Most of my settings are on the plain vanilla/out of the box side, with only a couple of SPM dependencies, and I've been maintaining the same app for about 5 years and don't think I've come across this behavior before.

Currently using Xcode 15.1. Deployment target is 14.0.

Thank you.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Osprey1 Down vote post of Osprey1
2.7k views
  • Yup I have also noticed the same issue it’s as if the debugger is not connected to the sim.

Add a Comment

Replies

Yep. I see the same thing. Ive been banging my head for 2 days trying to figure out why the debugger isnt stopping on break points. Glad to see it isnt just me

Same here. Deployment target of iOS 16, no working breakpoints. Change it to 17, and breakpoints work again.

Same here. Xcode 15.1 and 15.2 don't stop at breakpoint for older iOS simulators. Only solution was to use old Xcode 15.0.

Can confirm breakpoints do not work in Xcode 15.1 and 15.2 with older iOS Simulator connected, we tested mainly with 15.2. Opened a feedback for this: FB13529134.

Hey folks! There's a number of these threads open and now a bug number. I'm cross-posting for visibility and will update if I find more:

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Slif Down vote reply of Slif

Hey guys. There is temporary (I hope) solution to this issue:

1. Scheme -> Edit Scheme
  2. Select Wait for executable to be launched
  3. Launch an app manually

• Thanks, I'm glad it worked for you. I'm getting an even weirder behavior when I do this, where it now crashes with an exception at the first breakpoint, wherever I set it. Running a 16.4 iPhone 14 Plus simulator on Xcode 15.2. I guess it's different at least, but yeah it's unfortunate that something this big was missed in both 15.1 and 15.2. Here's hoping...

• Worked for me. Thanks for saved time!

• Does not work for me. Leads to the same dotted breakpoints :(

I have been struggling with this problem for a long time, but it seems to be completely fixed in macOS Sonoma 14.4 and Xcode 15.3. Everything works fine in my environment.

Mac Studio 2022 (M1 Max)