Xcode 15.1 doesn't create Objective-C Category files anymore

1. Create a new Project: macOS / App / Language: Objective-C
  2. Create a new Cocoa Class. Name it “Foo”
  3. Create a new Objective-C File. Name it “Bar”. Set File Type to “Category”. Set class to “Foo”. Click Next, then Create. Nothing happens.

FB13465308

Yes, I'm one of those old fashioned people who still use Objective-C...

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of mojo66 Down vote post of mojo66
1.4k views
  • I just hit this same regression myself after updating to Xcode 15.1 (from Xcode 15) today.

It's pretty sad to see such an obvious regression in a minor release. Apple claims Objective-C is still fully supported (I asked about this at WWDC), so there's really no excuse for such an obvious testing miss.

FWIW, selecting Extension also does not work anymore, though I don't know if I ever tried that one before.

Thanks for filing feedback. I need to file a report myself when I get a chance.

Add a Comment

Replies

I also encountered the same problem. Apple officials should come and solve it quickly

I just ran into this as well. It's a key design we have in our app currently so this has halted our development. Is there a fix in 15.2 planned?

this has halted our development

Note that creating a File Type: Empty File still works, so this bug should be only an annoyance and not a showstopper until it gets fixed.

The bug persists in Xcode 15.2 beta. I filed FB13520381.

Suffering this as well.every. single. day. In addition to the forced Network debugging (via Wifi, not private interface nonsense) which isn't working as explained here https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/737875 My time is being thrown down the drain by XCode like never before.

Took me one month to figure out that the reason for this regression is the simple lack of the two template files. So in order to make this work, you need to find an older copy of Xcode and copy over the files CategoryNSObject and ExtensionNSObject found at

Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Xcode/Templates/File Templates/MultiPlatform/Source/Objective-C File.xctemplate

and voilà everything is working again!

Same problem for me. I could not figure out how to find an older version of Xcode, so created class files and changed them by hand.

• Restore from a backup?

Add a Comment

Here are the missing files: [https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/027-JUISnmGAy_Zj0Lu5H3NEA#xcode-objc)

Fixed in 15.3.

Thanks for no upvotes!