Symbolicating report to understanding what I need to fix. App rejected for crash on launch.

I ran the app using 'npx expo start' in VScode with no problem. I opened the .xcworkspace in XCode and the app launches with no problem. I submitted my app to the app store. It was rejected due to crash on launch:

"We were unable to review your app as it crashed on launch. We have attached detailed crash logs to help troubleshoot this issue.

Review device details:

Device type: iPad OS version: iOS 17.1" Apple provided crashlog.txt files and suggests the following: " To address the crash in your app, follow these steps:

Fully symbolicate the crash report. See Adding Identifiable Symbol Names to a Crash Report for an explanation of the symbolication process. Match the crash report to a common pattern. Based on the pattern, take specific actions to further investigate the crash. See Identifying the Cause of Common Crashes.

I previously ran a few terminal commands to symbolicate the crash report. I got an output file but I don't know how to read it or figure out what it is telling me to fix.

Here are the crashlog.txt files sent to me by apple:

I understand this part indicates a language exception but that's as far as I understood:

"exception" : {"codes":"0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000","rawCodes":[0,0],"type":"EXC_CRASH","signal":"SIGABRT"}, "termination" : {"flags":0,"code":6,"namespace":"SIGNAL","indicator":"Abort trap: 6","byProc":"xp1","byPid":3803}, "asi" : {"libsystem_c.dylib":["abort() called"]}, "lastExceptionBacktrace" : [{"imageOffset":968816,"symbol":"__exceptionPreprocess","symbolLocation":164,"imageIndex":3},{"imageOffset":179200,"symbol":"objc_exception_throw","symbolLocation":60,"imageIndex":9},

Replies

I understand this part indicates a language exception

Right. Consider this:

Last Exception Backtrace:
0   CoreFoundation  … __exceptionPreprocess + 164
1   libobjc.A.dylib … objc_exception_throw + 60
2   xp1             … 0x104e5c000 + 1083016
3   xp1             … 0x104e5c000 + 1534544
4   xp1             … 0x104e5c000 + 1536644
5   CoreFoundation  … __invoking___ + 148
6   CoreFoundation  … -[NSInvocation invoke] + 428
7   CoreFoundation  … -[NSInvocation invokeWithTarget:] + 64
8   xp1             … 0x104e5c000 + 1277088

Frame 2, which is your code, has called objc_exception_throw. That frame, and all your other frames, are not symbolicated, which makes it hard to tell exactly what’s going on. I recommend that you try to symbolicate these frames. For general advice on that topic, see Adding Identifiable Symbol Names to a Crash Report.

Having said that, the pattern of that backtrace, specifically frames 7 through 5, suggests you’re hitting the issue described in Language Exception from RCTFatal.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"