Can't publish app to 3rd party, can't publish to store

Hi,

After spending two months trying to launch this app I decided to start from scratch, and regenerate everything from code signing requests, certs, apps, appIDs, App Store entries, EVERYTHING, and at the end of all of it, I get exactly the same problem I've had for months:

"Invalid Provisioning Profile. The provisioning profile included in the bundle com.chiltonwebb.secretprojectname [com.chiltonwebb.secretprojectname.pkg/Payload/secretprojectname.app] is invalid. [Invalid 'com.apple.application-identifier' entitlement value.] For more information, visit the macOS Developer Portal. (ID: 723cede2-3c9f-4069-b4fa-581ebd3468b9)"

I'm tired of guessing. I've tried everything I can find in these forums. What is the official way to diagnose this problem?

-Chilton

Replies

What platform is this for?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hi Quinn,

This is for a MacOS app. In the olden times I'd use a Tech Support Incident to get this resolved, but I'm not sure if that's even a thing anymore.

In this thread, the suggestion was to "select an application bundle prefix that matched my team id". Maybe that's it? I say that because I have no idea where they're selecting or setting it. It's always the unknowns that get me, and this is an unknown :)

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/666790

-Chilton

More info:

This is a Unity app. If I build it using the standard Unity build system, and I code sign it using the various code sign, ditto, notarization, and staple means, I CAN make it build properly for outside of App Store cases.

But I cannot make a build that the App Store will accept through Transporter. So, assuming my problem could be resolved if I built this through Xcode, I used Unity's option to build and deploy via Xcode.

But the Xcode version gives me the "Invalid Provisioning Profile" error, if I try to push it to the App Store as well.

*meanwhile, another Unity app I'm working on for iOS has been happily building and deploying to the App Store with absolutely no issues, but it's a completely different product, different bundle ID, etc.

"I wish I had never come here, and I don’t want to see no more magic." -- okay I'm not at that point yet. I am happy to try literally anything :)

-Chilton

It’s hard to say what’s going on here because I don’t maintain expertise in your third-party tooling. You might have more luck escalating this via their support resources.

However, this specific error suggests that you have an App ID mixup. On macOS, the com.apple.application-identifier entitlement holds the App ID of the app. The system uses that App ID to tie your code to its provisioning profile. So, either the value in this entitlement is wrong or you’ve embedded the wrong profile (or something else wacky is going on :-).

To debug this you can pull apart the installer package and dump the entitlements of your the app within it. For the first step, see Unpacking Apple Archives. For the second, use codesign as shown in TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles.

If your app is signed with the right App ID — and make sure to check the App ID prefix, because that’s a common cause of grief — the next step is to check the profile. TN3125 goes into that in gory detail.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Quinn,

You've outdone yourself again. These are fantastic. I don't have an answer yet but I think you've given me every tool I will need to solve this.

So thank you, in advance :)

-Chilton

• You're welcome. And good luck!

Add a Comment