codesign not signing helper executable in AppleScript bundle

My AppleScript .app bundle contains a helper executable. Table 3 of TN2206 says that executables may be in either Contents/MacOS or Contents/Helpers, but Quinn's first reply in this post says that Contents/MacOS is better. So I put the helper in Contents/MacOS, alongside applet.

I sign the AppleScript .app bundle for Developer ID and Hardened Runtime by running the codesign command with arguments recommended by Quinn in this post.

Result: Notary Service rejects the .app bundle due to 3 issues with the helper:

• is not signed with a valid Developer ID certificate
  • does not include a secure timestamp
  • does not have the hardened runtime enabled

(Possibly it still has a years-old signature without Developer ID and Hardened Runtime).

So it seems that the the helper is not being (re-)signed.

If, instead of signing the .app bundle, I run Quinn's codesign comand twice, once on the applet and once on the second executable, then Notary Service is happy with the bundle.

I was hoping that, after all these years, codesign is now smart enough to find and sign all of the executables inside a bundle.

Both executables are x86_64 non-fat (I guess I should fatten those) and I have installed Xcode 15.1 Beta.

Should I file a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

As far as I know, the advice from Apple (or at least Quinn) has always been to sign from inside out. That is, any helpers, tools, frameworks, and dylibs should be signed before the app bundle as a whole. Of course you’re free to write feedback, but don’t be surprised if it comes back “behaves as designed”. And they’re probably mostly focused on development with Xcode, in which the process of uploading an archive for notarization or the App Store takes care of the details of code signing.