Delete / Delete Forward key on Sonoma -- broken?

Something has happened to our users that are running MacOS Sonoma: our app's main window (NSView <NSTextInputClient>) is no longer getting the NSResponder deleteBackward "bindable command" message when the user presses the DELETE key, and is connected to an Apple Extended Keyboard. (it DOES work on a laptop, however)

Similarly, laptops that have updated to MacOS Sonoma no longer send the previously-accepted unicode key code for the FORWARD DELETE key: "\u007F".

Both these keys worked PERFECTLY on all earlier versions of MacOS (Mojave 10.14 through Ventura 13.x).

Any insights?

• Could there be a keyboard shortcut that was changed accidentally ?

• AFAIK, NO. We reproduced the FORWARD DELETE issue on a fresh install of Sonoma. Also, it doesn't appear that FORWARD DELETE (fn+Delete on a laptop) can be assigned to a shortcut.

Additionally, it's odd that long-time users who habitually use the FORWARD DELETE key only noticed the issue when Sonoma was published.

Add a Comment

Replies

This happens for me too on a fresh-out-of-box M3 device. Don't know if this was an intentional change or not.

The shortcut is still documented here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236#:~:text=Control%2DD%3A%20Delete%20the%20character,Or%20use%20Control%2DD

Control-D is also commonly bound for forward delete but given Fn-Delete = Forward Delete on non-mac devices I'd rather keep Fn-Delete, and not all programs respect Control-D.

• It figures after living with this for a week and now posting here I figure it out an hour later. Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Modifier Keys - the globe key was set to "No Action". Setting it back to "Globe" took care of it, seems like it controls everything on Fn.

This is distinct from the Settings > Keyboard > Press globe key to... which can be set to Do Nothing and have Fn key work as I expected (forward delete, function keys, etc.)

Sorry for the noise, hope this helps someone.

Add a Comment