Game porting toolkit installation fails with FreeType error

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to install the game porting toolkit on my M2pro Mac Mini. (MacOS Sonoma 14.0) As the InstallAware AGPT-Installer always failed with "error 1" (..check disk space blabla) I tried the installation using the console and the steps described here: https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Game_Porting_Toolkit

But: The general installation step always fails:

brew -v install apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit

It results in the following error:

Error: apple/apple/game-porting-toolkit 1.0.4 did not build
Logs:
     /Users/jgruen/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/00.options.out
     /Users/jgruen/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/wine64-build
     /Users/jgruen/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure.cc
     /Users/jgruen/Library/Logs/Homebrew/game-porting-toolkit/01.configure
If reporting this issue please do so to (not Homebrew/brew or Homebrew/homebrew-core):
  apple/apple

If you scroll up, you can see the likely source of the problem:

checking for ft2build.h... yes
checking for -lfreetype... not found
configure: error: FreeType 64-bit development files not found. Fonts will not be built.
Use the --without-freetype option if you really want this.

Note that I also have XCode 15.0 installed. FreeType is also available under /usr/local/opt/ All previous steps were ok. This one fails.

How can I "install" the 64 bit development version? By the way I also have the include files, so some kind of FreeType dev code is here. (/usr/local/include/freetype2/ft2build.h for example)

Any help or idea would be cool.

Replies

Figured it out. If anyone runs into the same problem, here is the fix which helped me.

First I tried to install FreeType again using brew.

brew install freetype 

The output was:

Warning: freetype 2.13.2 is already installed, it's just not linked.
To link this version, run:
  brew link freetype

So I tried to link again. There were already some files under "/usr/local/include/..", so I removed them. "Brew link freetype" now ran without problems. After that brew install was able to install the game porting toolkit. Yay!