Xcode Launch Fails for Destination: Mac (Designed for iPad)

I posted this before and thought I had fixed it, but I did not. I have an app which used to work well but now fails to launch the destination Mac (Designed for iPad). It builds fine, but doesn't launch. It does launch as aa Mac Catalyst app and if I modify the bundle id slightly, it launches as a Mac (Designed for iPad) app. I have a very similar, and I mean very similar, project that does not have this problem. I have automatically managing signing checked. would like and appreciate any help you can give me that would help me to solve this problem. I had a feedback on this, but closed it when I thought I had fixed the problem by changing the bundle id, running and then changing the bundle id back. I get the following error information.

Could not launch “App Name” Domain: IDELaunchErrorDomain Code: 20 Recovery Suggestion: Runningboard has returned error 5. Please check the system logs for the underlying cause of the error. User Info: { DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2023-09-27 03:23:51 +0000"; DVTRadarComponentKey = 968756; IDERunOperationFailingWorker = IDELaunchServicesLauncher; }

The operation couldn’t be completed. Launch failed. Domain: RBSRequestErrorDomain Code: 5 Failure Reason: Launch failed.

Launchd job spawn failed Domain: NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code: 153

Replies

I submitted this version of the app to the App Store. It passed. I also purchased my app so I could run the purchased app when the new version came out. It came out today and the app launched on my Mac. I still need this to be fixed as development is hindered.

Where can I find the definition of the error codes?

I generated a profile and used that instead of the automatic profile and it still doesn't launch under Destination Mac (Designed for iPad).

And yes, I tried to change the bundle id and then back. The changed id worked, but the correct one doesn't.

Error 153 has an entertaining but not particularly helpful explanation. See this post.

What version of macOS is this?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• The issue started with macOS 14.0 Sonoma. I don't have any login items.

Add a Comment

My feedback number for this go around is FB13225056.

My feedback number for this go around is FB13225056.

Thanks for filing that.

The issue started with macOS 14.0

macOS 14 has a new tool, syspolicy_check, that can help you investigate problems like this. I don’t actually know if it’ll help in this case, but it’s something you should try.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thank you for your help. Your input did put me onto the entitlements. I did run syspolicy_check on my app that I purchased. When I ran it with notary-submission, I got

AppleMobileFileIntegrity Error Severity: Fatal Full Error: No matching profile found Type: Distribution Error

When I ran it with distribution, I got

Notary Ticket Missing File: MyApp.app Severity: Fatal Full Error: A Notarization ticket is not stapled to this application. Type: Distribution Error

Add a Comment

I found the issue. For some reason, I had an App Group entitlement that was unnecessary. I removed it and it now launches.