Could Not Launch Mac (Designed for iPad) App in Xcode

I get the following message when I try to run this app in Xcode.

Could not launch AppName. Runningboard has returned error 5. Please check the system logs for the underlying cause of the error.

Interestingly, the destination Mac (Mac Catalyst) destination does launch. The funny thing is there is a companion app almost exactly like this one that launches fine. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Xcode helped me to file a feedback. The number is FB13206919.

Accepted Reply

I fixed it. I temporarily changed the bundle id slightly. It launched and ran. Then I changed the bundle id back and it launched and ran.

• This did not work for me. I had to reinstall the OS on my Mac to fix this issue.

Add a Comment

Replies

Here's more info on this.

Could not launch “MyAppName” Domain: IDELaunchErrorDomain Code: 20 Recovery Suggestion: Runningboard has returned error 5. Please check the system logs for the underlying cause of the error. User Info: { DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2023-09-27 03:23:51 +0000"; DVTRadarComponentKey = 968756; IDERunOperationFailingWorker = IDELaunchServicesLauncher; }

The operation couldn’t be completed. Launch failed. Domain: RBSRequestErrorDomain Code: 5 Failure Reason: Launch failed.

Launchd job spawn failed Domain: NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code: 153

I fixed it. I temporarily changed the bundle id slightly. It launched and ran. Then I changed the bundle id back and it launched and ran.

• This did not work for me. I had to reinstall the OS on my Mac to fix this issue.

Add a Comment

Well, it got unfixed. Something is goofed up here.

I had the same problem with Apple NullDriver Sample project - for test application, calling device extension. the problem was solved after removal of com.apple.developer.driverkit.userclient-access key from application entitlements

• That worked for me as well

Add a Comment

Removing "com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit" from the application entitlements file is also a good idea in this scenario.