Custom Localized String Macro Names build setting for Swift.

Why is the custom localized string macro name only allowed for Objective C and C code? I have a wrapper class for localization which is a Swift function. I'm unable to get the strings i pass to it localized. Is there any way to get it working other than writing an objective C class and adding it to the bridging header?

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 763946022

Hello!

This does work for Swift, but the rule is that it must match the signature of one of the NSLocalizedString overrides. NSLocalizedString has the following signature:

func NSLocalizedString(
    _ key: String,
    tableName: String? = nil,
    bundle: Bundle = Bundle.main,
    value: String = "",
    comment: String
) -> String

So as long as your custom function matches that signature (optionally excluding optional parameters), it should be extracted.

For example:

func MyLocalizedString(
) -> String

Then you can add MyLocalizedString to LOCALIZED_STRING_MACRO_NAMES.

Note that this type of extraction does not support Swift string interpolation.

Alternatively, you can rely on the Swift compiler to extract strings (SWIFT_EMIT_LOC_STRINGS), in which case you can use the LocalizedStringResource type to carry localized strings.

func myFunctionPresentingUI(
    _ title: LocalizedStringResource,
    extraParam: Double
) -> String

Then at the call site:

myFunctionPresentingUI("My string", extraParam: …)

OR

myFunctionPresentingUI(LocalizedStringResource("My string", table: "CustomTable"), extraParam: …)

Using this alternative approach, you would not add myFunctionPresentingUI to LOCALIZED_STRING_MACRO_NAMES.

Accepted Answer

Hello!

This does work for Swift, but the rule is that it must match the signature of one of the NSLocalizedString overrides. NSLocalizedString has the following signature:

func NSLocalizedString(
    tableName: String? = nil,
    bundle: Bundle = Bundle.main,
    value: String = "",
) -> String

So as long as your custom function matches that signature (optionally excluding optional parameters), it should be extracted.

For example:

func MyLocalizedString(
) -> String

Then you can add MyLocalizedString to LOCALIZED_STRING_MACRO_NAMES.

Note that this type of extraction does not support Swift string interpolation.

Alternatively, you can rely on the Swift compiler to extract strings (SWIFT_EMIT_LOC_STRINGS), in which case you can use the LocalizedStringResource type to carry localized strings.

func myFunctionPresentingUI(
    _ title: LocalizedStringResource,
    extraParam: Double
) -> String

Then at the call site:

myFunctionPresentingUI("My string", extraParam: …)

OR

myFunctionPresentingUI(LocalizedStringResource("My string", table: "CustomTable"), extraParam: …)

Using this alternative approach, you would not add myFunctionPresentingUI to LOCALIZED_STRING_MACRO_NAMES.

Custom Localized String Macro Names build setting for Swift.

Q