Loading NSImage from icns file takes very long for Visual Studio Code icon

I am trying to load an app icon from an icns file.

I am using the following code:

guard let url = NSWorkspace.shared.urlForApplication(withBundleIdentifier: "com.microsoft.VSCode") else { return nil }
let icon = NSWorkspace.shared.icon(forFile: url.path)

This seems to work very fine for all apps that I tested. All of them? No. Loading the icon for Visual Studio Code takes 4-5 seconds.

Are there any other, faster methods? I also tried to use

NSImage(contentsOfFile: url.path)

which also takes very long.

I have uploaded the icns file here: https://sascha-simon.com/Code.icns

How can this behavior be explained?

• Maybe it is the file/icons size(s). File is 365k. Have you compared the size (or other properties of the icon file) with other icons files that are processed faster?

Add a Comment

Replies

I guess this icon is more on the larger side, but I have apps with icons that are similiar in size. I hope that this is not the real issue. I have a M2 processor, so I think loading a 400kb icon should not take 4-5 seconds.

I tried running your code and I'm not seeing the same behavior — it's reporting about 0.01 seconds to get the icons.

• Can you reproduce this on a different Mac?
  • Can you reproduce this by loading the separate icons file directly. (In other words, is the slowness in getting the URL, or in loading the file?)

I also tested this on my Mac mini with a M1 processor. I used the following code:

private func loadImage(from: String) {
  let start = Date.now.timeIntervalSince1970
  let image = NSImage(contentsOf: URL(string: from)!)
  let duration = Date.now.timeIntervalSince1970 - start

Swift.print(duration)
}

I called the function with a local and a remote URL:

self.loadImage(from: "https://sascha-simon.com/Code.icns")
self.loadImage(from: "/Users/inexcitus/Downloads/Code.icns")

When calling this code from an app, everything seems to work fine. Both functions run rather quickly:

I then ran the code inside of a unit test and then it is slow again (more than four seconds). I added the following code inside one of my unit tests:

let icon = self.loadImage(from: "/Applications/Visual Studio Code.app/Contents/Resources/Code.icns") // For this URL I had to use another init function for the URL: let image = NSImage(contentsOf: URL(filePath: from))

Output:

It is somehow related to my code running in the xctest executable. Other icons work just fine, it is always this icon in particular. There is no cacheing on my side, when I load the same icon later, it loads almost immediately so I guess Cocoa uses cacheing.