Voluntary block on network access for apps that don't need it

A lot of apps don't need or want any network access, and both users and developers are getting much more conscious of potential privacy breaches.

Is there a way of specifying that an app doesn't need any network access at all, and therefore being able to put users' minds at ease that the app couldn't send any data anywhere even if it 'wanted' to.

Replies

On macOS, yes. If your app is sandboxed then it can only access the network if it has the relevant entitlements.

I suspect, however, that you’re talking about iOS. There’s no equivalent mechanism there. I’ve seen this come up a few times and, honestly, I kinda agree with you. Speaking personally, I’d like to see this at both the code level (like macOS) and at the user level (something in Settings to disable the app’s access to the network).

To formally request this, I encourage you to file an enhancement request describing your requirements. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks Quinn - I'd like the user level version as both a developer and a user too. I've filed this in Feedback Assistant: FB12328461

Add a Comment