Xcode 15 Beta: Asset Catalog Complier Crashing on existing project that compiled on Xcode 14

I have a project that was working perfectly on Xcode 14, but fails to compile on Xcode 15 with a "Command CompileAssetCatalog failed with a nonzero exit code". When I look into the Log I can see this error message "Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'IBPlatformToolFailureException', reason: "The tool closed the connection (AssetCatalogSimulatorAgent)".

Additionally, looking into Console, I can see two crash reports:

• AssetCatalogSimulatorAgent: Which looks like it crashed compressing a JPEG image.
  • ibtoold: Which looks like it crashed because AssetCatalogSimulatorAgent called IBICSimulatorToolCARCompiler which crashed.

Additionally, I’ve tried:

1. Building for real a real iPad Pro (11-inch, 3rd generation) running iPadOS 17.0.
  2. Deleting the entire folder under Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/[project name].
  3. Uninstalling and reinstalling Xcode 15.

However, I’m still getting the same issue.

So any other ideas?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Appracatappra Down vote post of Appracatappra
1.6k views

Replies

Thanks for reporting this issue. Please file a bug report on https://feedbackassistant.apple.com and attach any crash logs, and if possible, a project that reproduces the crash.

FYI for anyone who hits this issue. I created a new project with the same settings as the old one and slowly added back my assets (one at a time and recompiling after each add) until I found the offending .jpg file.

As far as I can tell, there wasn't anything wrong with the original but I was able to open it in an image editor and re-export it as a .jpg file. I deleted the "bad" copy from the asset catalog and added the new. After that I was able to successfully compile.

I went back to the original project and made the same change, now everything is compiling and running normally.

I would be nice if we could put the Asset Catalog Compiler in a verbose mode where we could see exactly which file it was processing when it crashed. That would have saved me days of work.

After removing 2 svg images, error disappeared.

Xcode 15.0 beta 5 while beta 4 works fine.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of tdt Down vote reply of tdt