Can't submit macOS app to App Store: Invalid Provisioning Profile Signature error

Something is going wrong with Mac App Store.

Suddenly, I can't submit an app due to an "Invalid Provisioning Profile Signature" error:

Invalid Provisioning Profile Signature. The provisioning profile included in the bundle com.***.*** [com.***.***.pkg/Payload/***.app] cannot be used to submit apps to the Mac App Store until it has a valid signature from Apple. For more information, visit the macOS Developer Portal. (ID: 63ae9290-28e2-4a65-8614-***)

I've never seen this error before.

This is a macOS app so no provisioning profile is even required.

Nothing changed in the signing settings I've been using to submit this app many times before.

Also, I have another, semi-pro, version of this app on the App Store. It's just another target in the same Xcode project which uses exactly the same signing settings as the first target. No issues submitting this version.

I assume it's a bug in the Mac App Store engine - I did submit it to Apple.

Still I wonder if anyone has experienced this error and has any suggestions.

macOS 13.2
Xcode 14.2

Thanks,
Leo

Accepted Reply

Hi,

I've had the same issue just now. It seems that something is wrong with provisioning profiles, they got invalidated or something. Anyway, regenerating them helped. If you have 'Automatically manage signing' enabled in your project then you could do the following.

1. Close Xcode
  2. rm -rf ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning\ Profiles/
  3. Open Xcode and wait until it updates profiles
  4. Try submitting the app again

In my case the issue was gone after the profiles were updated.

Replies

Hi,

I've had the same issue just now. It seems that something is wrong with provisioning profiles, they got invalidated or something. Anyway, regenerating them helped. If you have 'Automatically manage signing' enabled in your project then you could do the following.

1. Close Xcode
  2. rm -rf ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning\ Profiles/
  3. Open Xcode and wait until it updates profiles
  4. Try submitting the app again

In my case the issue was gone after the profiles were updated.

@mgrushin:

Thanks!!

It did work.

I'm still not sure what it's all about... Mac apps don't require any provisioning profiles. I don't have any provisioning profiles specified.

But now I see that indeed a provisioning profile is generated in ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles upon submission of the app to Mac App Store.

The directory is also named MobileDevice while, once again, it's not a mobile app - but I guess that's how it works.

Thanks again!

Leo

Mac apps don't require any provisioning profiles.

That’s not the full story here. If your macOS app uses a restricted entitlement, it has to have a provisioning profile to authorise that entitlement. See the Entitlements on macOS section of TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• with some delay: Thanks for the additional info, Quinn! Fortunately, Apple made this knowledge optional and Xcode takes care of these provisional profiles under the hood automatically when needed. I guess something went wrong this time, which was fixed by deleting the aforementioned Provisioning Profiles folder. Your explanation clarifies what's going on under the hood.

Add a Comment