Is Xcode 14.3 Apple Silicon Only - It won't start on my Intel anymore

Is Xcode 14.3 going to be a Universal build or just Apple Silicon? 96 Hangs.

• Sometimes it will load other times just won't

Add a Comment

Replies

Is Xcode 14.3 going to be a Universal build … ?

Technically this is a question about The Future™ so let’s assume we’re talking about Xcode 14.3rc1. In that case:

• It is a universal app.

• It launches just fine on my Intel machine.

The one place I see folks run into problems is trying to run the Intel code on an Apple silicon machine using Rosetta. This is not supported, something we now call out in the release notes.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• I’m not doing anything special other than trying to launch Xcode and it opens sometimes and other times it doesn’t on my intel cpu. So somewhere during launch on the intel the wrong architecture is being automatically selected.

Add a Comment

What I also noticed with Xcode 14.3 on intel vs Apple Silicon is for example in the follow sample code deprecated messages aren't being surfaced under Apple Silicon .

/// Access the bytes in the data.
    ///
    /// - warning: The byte pointer argument should not be stored and used outside of the lifetime of the call to the closure.
    @available(swift, deprecated: 5, message: "use `withUnsafeBytes<R>(_: (UnsafeRawBufferPointer) throws -> R) rethrows -> R` instead")
    public func withUnsafeBytes<ResultType, ContentType>(_ body: (UnsafePointer<ContentType>) throws -> ResultType) rethrows -> ResultType

/// Calls the given closure with the contents of underlying storage.
    ///
    /// - note: Calling `withUnsafeBytes` multiple times does not guarantee that
    ///         the same buffer pointer will be passed in every time.
    /// - warning: The buffer argument to the body should not be stored or used
    ///            outside of the lifetime of the call to the closure.
    @inlinable public func withUnsafeBytes<ResultType>(_ body: (UnsafeRawBufferPointer) throws -> ResultType) rethrows -> ResultType