SwiftUI Button accessibilityElement not combining children

When using .accessibilityElement(children: .contain) on a SwiftUI Button, the children do not show up in the accessibility inspector. Instead, the Button is the only element shown and its identifier is a combination of all the children. How can I make only the children identifiers show?

Button {
} label: {
      VStack {
         Image(systemName: "star")
             .accessibilityIdentifier("logo_image")
         Text("Subtitle")
             .accessibilityIdentifier("subtitle_text")
        }
}
.accessibilityElement(children: .contain)

If I remove the button and only use the VStack the elements appear individually. This is what I am trying to achieve while using the Button.

VStack {
     Image(systemName: "star")
          .accessibilityIdentifier("logo_image")
     Text("Subtitle")
           .accessibilityIdentifier("subtitle_text")
 }

Accepted Reply

Thanks for your feedback.

Buttons are by default combined, and we don't currently have a way to "uncombine" combined elements.

But in this case, looks like you want XCUITest to access the inner views inside Button, and I believe XCUITest won't be affected by .accessibilityElement(children:)` modifier generally. So although Accessibility Inspector shows you the combined Button element, you should still be able to test individual elements inside Buttons for XCUITest.

• I see, thank you. In the future it would be great to have this ability. It would make my teams automation flow a bit easier.

Add a Comment

Replies

Thanks for your feedback.

Buttons are by default combined, and we don't currently have a way to "uncombine" combined elements.

But in this case, looks like you want XCUITest to access the inner views inside Button, and I believe XCUITest won't be affected by .accessibilityElement(children:)` modifier generally. So although Accessibility Inspector shows you the combined Button element, you should still be able to test individual elements inside Buttons for XCUITest.

• I see, thank you. In the future it would be great to have this ability. It would make my teams automation flow a bit easier.

Add a Comment