iOS 16.2 ignores com.apple.developer.networking.multicast?

Hi

I just discovered that iOS 16.2 prompts you to allow the app to access the local network. Isn't the point with com.apple.developer.networking.multicast that you should never be prompted?

Regards, Christoffer

Accepted Reply

Isn't the point with com.apple.developer.networking.multicast that you should never be prompted?

No. The prompt and the entitlement are independent things. The prompt applies to all apps that access the local network. The entitlement restricts your ability to do local network operations that allow for in-depth fingerprinting.

For more background on this, see the Local Network Privacy FAQ.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

I just verified with yet another device (iPhone 14 Pro) running iOS 16.0.x, reinstalled the production app from App Store = got NO prompt. Updated to iOS 16.2, reinstalled the production app from App Store = got a prompt.

Isn't the point with com.apple.developer.networking.multicast that you should never be prompted?

No. The prompt and the entitlement are independent things. The prompt applies to all apps that access the local network. The entitlement restricts your ability to do local network operations that allow for in-depth fingerprinting.

For more background on this, see the Local Network Privacy FAQ.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Ok, thanks. So seeing the prompt after the 16.2 update, relates back to the note in FAQ-3 "IMPORTANT Due to a combination of implementation limitations and bugs, not all of the these restrictions are enforced on iOS 14 and 15. They should be correctly enforced by iOS 16 and later..." I guess.