In custom Instrument, how can I include the duration in a value

I have a custom Instrument with a os-signpost-interval-schema that captures a "state" string. I would like the final plot value to be <state>: <duration>, but I don't know how to get the duration into the string.

My working schema is the following, which just stores the state itself in the column:

<os-signpost-interval-schema>
        <id>state-interval</id>
        <title>State Interval</title>
        <subsystem>"..."</subsystem>
        <category>"..."</category>
        <name>"state"</name>
        <start-pattern>
            <message>?state</message>
        </start-pattern>

<column>
            <mnemonic>state</mnemonic>
            <title>State</title>
            <type>string</type>
            <expression>?state</expression>
        </column>

</os-signpost-interval-schema>

I would like to change the expression in the column to (str-cat ?state ": " ?duration), but that fails with:

Variable '?duration' must appear in a pattern element to be used in a later expression.

I don't see any way to compute this later in the graph, lane, or plot. I've also tried explicitly creating a <duration-column>, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

The rest of the pieces include the table:

<create-table>
            <id>state-table</id>
            <schema-ref>state-interval</schema-ref>
        </create-table>

And the lane, which I would like to display as <state>: <duration> rather than just the duration:

<lane>
                <title>State</title>
                <table-ref>state-table</table-ref>
                <plot>
                    <value-from>state</value-from>
                </plot>
            </lane>

Accepted Reply

Thank you for the question, Rob. Unfortunately, that is not currently possible.

For start time of an interval, you could bind it to a variable using tag in the start-pattern element (https://apdreview.apple.com/instruments/developer/mac/current/#/dev1074660011), but that's currently not exposed for duration.

Workaround would be to write a custom modeler, which allows you to have full control over the values. I also encourage you to file a feedback with us so that we can make this improvement – I think it's a great idea. I could certainly see that exposing duration as a variable could be quite useful in enriching the plots developers define.

Thanks,

Kacper

• Thanks for the answer. The link you've given is not publicly available. I think you meant help.apple.com rather than apdreview.apple.com. But I understand what you mean. FB11797677

I'll consider whether making a custom modeler is worth the trouble here, but I understand how that would work. Thanks again.

• Yes, you're right. Correct link is https://help.apple.com/instruments/developer/mac/current/#/dev1074660011.

Add a Comment

Replies

Thank you for the question, Rob. Unfortunately, that is not currently possible.

For start time of an interval, you could bind it to a variable using tag in the start-pattern element (https://apdreview.apple.com/instruments/developer/mac/current/#/dev1074660011), but that's currently not exposed for duration.

Workaround would be to write a custom modeler, which allows you to have full control over the values. I also encourage you to file a feedback with us so that we can make this improvement – I think it's a great idea. I could certainly see that exposing duration as a variable could be quite useful in enriching the plots developers define.

Thanks,

Kacper

• Thanks for the answer. The link you've given is not publicly available. I think you meant help.apple.com rather than apdreview.apple.com. But I understand what you mean. FB11797677

I'll consider whether making a custom modeler is worth the trouble here, but I understand how that would work. Thanks again.

• Yes, you're right. Correct link is https://help.apple.com/instruments/developer/mac/current/#/dev1074660011.

Add a Comment