Instruments "can't find source code for selected symbol"

I'm attempting to use Xcode & Instruments to Time Profile my app - but there's something in my environment which is preventing Instruments from linking back to source code. It's this way with all of my apps, and even with a recent tutorial from Kodeco (RayWenderlich.com) - so I'm suspecting my environment.

In Xcode, I select Product -> Profile, which launches Instruments. I select Time Profiler. I click the record button, use the app such that the area of interest is executed, hit stop.

In the Profile section of Instruments, I can see the stack traces, and many of them have function names which are clearly from my app.

When I double-click on them, I expect them to show the source code from Xcode (as detailed in apple docs and the Kodeco tutorial).

However, instead I get this screen which says "Error: Can't find source code for selected symbol"

Most of the question / answers I've seen come from many years ago, which suggests that my problem isn't common - which has me wondering what I've got lurking in my environment that's preventing this from working.

I'm using an M1 Mac w/ Ventura 13.1 Beta (22C5044e) and Xcode Version 14.1 (14B47b).

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated...

• Still non-functional in Ventura 13.1 Beta (22C5050e)

Add a Comment