Cloud Managed Apple Apple Distribution certificate expires in one week

Hi, I see some posts about this, from 6 years ago, but I would like to know how this message would impact my App. So when uploading an Archive to Apple for distributing to the App Store, I see that the 'Cloud Managed Apple Distribution' certificate is set to expire in 10 days. Also (probably connected) the iOS Team Provisioning Profile will also expire at the same date.

1. Should I do something myself? Or will the renewing be done automagically by xcode?
  2. If I upload now (without renewing), will my app still be available in the App Store after the certificate has expired?
  3. If I upload now (without renewing) will the apps still work on all devices that have downloaded this version or previous versions of the app?

Kind regards, Wouter Wessels

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Woutster Down vote post of Woutster
2.6k views
  • App on AppStore work until the end of your enrolment period and is automatically kept if you renew it. You will need to upgrade your certificate to submit after the end time of the certificate.

Add a Comment

Replies

So when uploading an Archive to Apple for distributing to the App Store, I see that the 'Cloud Managed Apple Distribution' certificate is set to expire in 10 days.

Ah, interesting, I hadn’t noticed that.

That kinda makes sense, but only when you understand a critical point about distribution code signing. When you sign an app for distribution, that’s not the final version of the app that ships to your customers. Rather, App Store Connect checks your signature when it ingests your app. After that it re-signs your app for distribution by the App Store.

The best way to see this in action is on the Mac. Consider tihs:

% codesign -d -vvv "/Applications/Tap Forms 5.app" 
…
Authority=Apple Mac OS Application Signing
…

Tap Forms isn’t signed by the developer’s signing identity but rather by an Apple one.

So this short expiry is irrelevant to the long-term disposition of your app. It just means that you have 10 days to upload your app.

This re-sign the reasons why it’s not possible to run App Store distribution-signed code locally.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"