iPhone 14 Pro Max reporting incorrect videoFieldOfView

I'm getting reports from users that our app that relies on the reported field of view of the camera is reporting the wrong field of view for the main camera. The ultrawide and telephoto are correct. It's reporting 39.3, whereas the iPhone 13 pro max is reporting 67.1.

Is this something to do with the crop value of the 48-megapixel sensor?

Replies

I'm seeing the same issue. The field of view reported on my iPhone 15 Pro (non max) is 41.2. This is throwing off my app's calculations when it provides a framing guide (as suggested in the WWDC 2021 talk "What's new in Camera Capture" https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10047/).

Based on a little trigonometry, the error we're seeing here is consistent with what you'd expect if the sensor was twice the size in both dimensions. So I think the bug does have something to do with the pixel doubling in the 48 megapixel sensor. I hope Apple can release a fix for this soon. For now I've added a workaround that subtitles a hard coded value for videoFieldOfView when running on an iPhone 14 Pro model.

Submitted feedback FB11545441.

I just downloaded the new 16.1 beta and it appears to be fixed there. They don't seem to ever give you both fovs for the cropped and full frame format, but at least now the default is the wide angle.

I wonder if this had anything to do with the Instagram camera grinding on these devices.