missing symbol called error at runtime

Hello,

At run time, one of my apps is crashing every time with

dyld[1406]: missing symbol called

dyld config: DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/system/introspection DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/libBacktraceRecording.dylib:/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DTDDISupport.framework/libViewDebuggerSupport.dylib

I'm on an M1 Mac using Xcode 14 and targeting iOS 16. I tried this with Xcode 13.4.1 on this same laptop and had the same issue.

It does not give me any further information and it's always crashing on the same line: let xml = XML.parse(data) . However, if I place a breakpoint on that line and po the result of the XML call it prints correctly in the debugger, so not sure what symbol is missing....

Replies

Update - ran this on an Intel Mac and had the same issue.

Does the app crash if you open it from the Home screen on the iOS device?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Yes. This is an excerpt from the crash log in Xcode under Devices & Simulators.

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Termination Reason: DYLD 4 Symbol missing
missing symbol called
(terminated at launch; ignore backtrace)

Cool. Well, not cool, but at least that rules out Xcode’s debugging infrastructure.

Please post the full crash report. See Posting a Crash Report for advice on how to do that.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hi,

My apologies for the delay in responding. I'm all set actually:

The crash log from Devices and Simulators was mentioning a third party framework. I use Cocoapods both for my main XCFramework and my demo workspace that this crash was occurring in. The problem was that the two pod files were using different versions of the same frameworks. Once I got everyone on the same framework version things worked out fine.

Thanks for your help - now and in previous years and questions, more to come I'm sure. :) Ahmad

Add a Comment