Help with code signing

I am engaged in warfare with code signing on macOS. I am on the losing side.

I simply need to sign apps for local development and usage for now. Here's what my process used to look like:

1. I check what signing identity is available on the mac via security find-identity -v -p codesigning
  2. if I see a string like 5412365ERRHG12 in the command above, I can then resign any app, and change its entitlements via the following command :

codesign -s 5412365ERRHG12 -f --options runtime --entitlements entitlements_file /path/to/app_to_resign.app

However, the app I am battling with is an Electron app. I am unable to sign properly its helper, even though I read all that I could on the internet.

I use this as entitlements for the main bundle :

<key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
<true/>
<key>com.apple.security.application-groups</key>
<array>
	<string>***</string>
</array>

And this for the helper app :

<key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
<true/>
<key>com.apple.security.inherit</key>
<true/>

However when doing so, the system keeps preventing the helper app from being launch, with the following error message :

deny(1) forbidden-sandbox-reinit

I've tried everything I saw online. The one thing left to try, was a guide mentioning I should embed a provisioning profile.

So I've created a provisioning profile on apple's developer portal, and added it on /path/to/app_to_resign.app/embedded.provisionprofile

However, I am not sure what to specify after the -s flag of codesign.

I installed the provisioning profile on the mac by double clicking on it, I expected this to add a new entry to security find-identity -v -p codesigning, but it did not.

What am I missing? How can I feed to codesign the identity linked to the provisioning profile that I have just downloaded from the apple developer's portal?

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

So, let’s start with provisioning profiles. On the Mac you only need a provisioning profile if your code uses restricted entitlements. None of the entitlements you listed here are restricted, so you shouldn’t need any profiles.

TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles talks about this in depth.

You wrote:

However when doing so, the system keeps preventing the helper app from being launch, with the following error message :

I cover this in detail in my Resolving Trusted Execution Problems posts, and specifically Resolving App Sandbox Inheritance Problems. It’s most likely that your helper app isn’t run as a child process of the main app, but rather being run as a standalone app. This is the difference between running the app using:

• fork/exec, or posix_spawn, or NSTask, or Process

• NSWorkspace, or Launch Services

As a standalone app there’s no sandbox to inherit and thus com.apple.security.inherit won’t work. Rather, you should set it up with its own standalone sandbox.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

So, let’s start with provisioning profiles. On the Mac you only need a provisioning profile if your code uses restricted entitlements. None of the entitlements you listed here are restricted, so you shouldn’t need any profiles.

TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles talks about this in depth.

You wrote:

I cover this in detail in my Resolving Trusted Execution Problems posts, and specifically Resolving App Sandbox Inheritance Problems. It’s most likely that your helper app isn’t run as a child process of the main app, but rather being run as a standalone app. This is the difference between running the app using:

• fork/exec, or posix_spawn, or NSTask, or Process

• NSWorkspace, or Launch Services

As a standalone app there’s no sandbox to inherit and thus com.apple.security.inherit won’t work. Rather, you should set it up with its own standalone sandbox.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hey, thanks for that, your guide is great ! It worked and helped me solve the problem of deny(1) forbidden-sandbox-reinit.

Add a Comment