Notarization failures with DMG wrapped app

Up to now, we have delivered our app with an installer via notarized DMG.

Using the same process of signing notarization fails with just the App setting up for drag install.

The app is signed and passes notarization. So does the installer.

The DMG is signed with the same arguments and identity in either case. Failure is "Signature of the Binary is invalid" despite the fact it can be notarized on its own or in an installer pkg!

Replies

Checking the app on the DMG I get this:

% codesign -d -vv /Volumes/emWave\ Pro/emWave\ Pro.app 

Executable=/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/emWaveMac
Identifier=com.heartmath.emwave
Format=app bundle with Mach-O universal (x86_64 arm64)
CodeDirectory v=20500 size=112672 flags=0x10000(runtime) hashes=3510+7 location=embedded
Signature size=8997
Authority=Developer ID Application: NNNNNNNN (GMxxxxxxxx) => obscured
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Timestamp=Jul 28, 2022 at 5:48:25 PM

Info.plist entries=30

TeamIdentifier=GMZxxxxxxxx

Runtime Version=12.3.0

Sealed Resources version=2 rules=13 files=1241

Internal requirements count=1 size=180

For the DMG I get:

% spctl -a -t open -vvv --context context:primary-signature *.dmg

emWave Pro.dmg: rejected
source=Unnotarized Developer ID
origin=Developer ID Application: HeartMath LLC (GMZxxxxx)
code-block

What exactly does this mean, since the same Developer ID: Installer and : Application works in all other combos?

Here is my validation for the app:

emWave Pro.app: accepted
source=Developer ID
origin=Developer ID Application: HeartMath LLC (GMZ3FT78RD)

Validation for the DMG shows Unnotarized:

spctl verification:
emWavePro.dmg: rejected

Here is what I get back from the portal:

{
  "logFormatVersion": 1,
  "jobId": "5b0c0eed-7a61-45ed-8a85-94fe16ec296e",
  "status": "Invalid",
  "statusSummary": "Archive contains critical validation errors",
  "statusCode": 4000,
  "archiveFilename": "emWavePro.dmg",
  "uploadDate": "2022-07-29T14:46:14Z",
  "sha256": "1bb8d490311e237280b29c28831c5078ae628ad1d54e5e70c0ffe8538ad23c42",
  "ticketContents": null,
  "issues": [
    {
      "severity": "error",
      "code": null,
      "path": "emWavePro.dmg/emWave Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/emWaveMac",
      "message": "The signature of the binary is invalid.",
      "docUrl": null,
      "architecture": "x86_64"
    },
    {
      "path": "emWavePro.dmg/emWave Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/emWaveMac",
      "architecture": "arm64"
    }
  ]
}

Here is what I get back from the portal

Well, the notary service is definitely grumpy about the copy of your app on the disk image. Try this:

1. Find the emWavePro.dmg that matches this notary log (it should have a SHA-256 checksum of 1bb8d490311e237280b29c28831c5078ae628ad1d54e5e70c0ffe8538ad23c42).

2. Mount it.

3. Use codesign to check the app on the mounted disk image volume:

% codesign -v -vvv --strict --deep /Volumes/emWave\ Pro/emWave\ Pro.app

What do you get back?

You didn’t give any info about how you created this disk image. One common gotcha I’ve seen here is folks using cp -r to copy their app on to their disk image. That doesn’t do the right thing with symlinks, and macOS frameworks rely on symlinks, and so a copy like that will break the app if it contains frameworks.

If you’re copying your app around, use ditto.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Quinn Quinn,

Thanks for your help.

I tried two methods. Both work with our Installer PKG:

1. Script excerpt - we set up a folder and:
hdiutil create -srcfolder "$SRC_DIR" -volname "$VOLNAME" -fs HFS+ \
               -fsargs "-c c=64,a=16,e=16" -format UDRW "$TMP_DMG"
  1. The other uses dropDMG from that folder.

All my build scripts use a form of 'ditto' to move or copy stuff.

All my build scripts use a form of ditto to move or copy stuff.

Cool.

What was the result of the test I proposed in the first half of my previous reply?

Share and Enjoy

Oops. Sorry. I hate that when people only answer part of a question and here I am doing that. But that ****** is gone - so many attempts, to few moments in life.

Here is a fresh one:

• In target folder prior DropDMG (used for quick experimentation, I later bash a script for the QA builds):
% spctl -a -vvv emWave\ Pro.app
source=Developer ID
  • Build DMG and sign, mount, and check signature on it:
source=Developer ID
origin=Developer ID Application: HeartMath LLC (GMZ3FT78RD)```
  • Send off to notarization:
https://osxapps-ssl.itunes.apple.com/itunes-assets/Enigma112/v4/68/cd/cc/68cdcc9c-0579-6c35-0d12-e39db9a94e5c/developer_log.json?accessKey=1659643471_4931801388376640712_m64RSh33h2i77lk0c2I0Gnoo%2BBssMltizD7ye7Qdh4BL9n4k6%2BtNEjergyK7I5c5jD%2FSd%2FZzpRxhXhuWv9d11bHUFwSMNuYBijbhQUeqOywgbJkVehljacihBej%2Bc6D6qe0iQgGO877nzBVDx6tuetRH9y8XeJpJV0Kr9y6ZFdE%3D

RequestUUID: 256cc0c2-7eb2-4b8d-b54f-94b52b2a05f6
{
  "logFormatVersion": 1,
  "jobId": "256cc0c2-7eb2-4b8d-b54f-94b52b2a05f6",
  "status": "Invalid",
  "statusSummary": "Archive contains critical validation errors",
  "statusCode": 4000,
  "archiveFilename": "emWave+Pro.dmg",
  "uploadDate": "2022-08-02T13:59:15Z",
  "sha256": "d0240c577486929536bb8c4f72b0749023d4c2978fdca525ab03214c85ce9a08",
  "ticketContents": null,
  "issues": [
    {
      "path": "emWave+Pro.dmg/emWave Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/emWaveMac",
      "architecture": "x86_64"
    },
    {
      "path": "emWave+Pro.dmg/emWave Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/emWaveMac",
      "architecture": "arm64"
    }
  ]
}
  • Remount DMG and check, because ... superstition:
source=Developer ID
  • Notarize the app by itself from the source folder, since the DMG is RO. My script returns:
[...] Downloaded ticket has been stored at file:///var/folders/1z/zdzqgk4s22s2wjy7ds9d21qm0000gn/T/93dc7955-57cf-4749-ae1c-14662a4fd3dd.ticket.
The validate action worked!

As I wrote, if I drop a signed installer into the same folder, it works. All this is using altool. I am converting scripts to notarize, but that should not make a difference.

Hmmmm, you seem to have not run the command I was looking for. To reiterate:

1. Find the emWavePro.dmg that matches this notary log (it should have a SHA-256 checksum of 1bb8d490311e237280b29c28831c5078ae628ad1d54e5e70c0ffe8538ad23c42).

2. Mount it.

3. Use codesign to check the app on the mounted disk image volume:

What do you get back?

You’re running spctl, and in my experience it’s not a particularly useful tool [1].

Share and Enjoy

[1] Something I call out in Testing a Notarised Product.

Oops. Thanks. That's what I used to use until reading some Apple docs. Everything's valid. I had to snip some stuff due to forum character limits.

--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtDBus.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtDBus.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtMultimedia.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtMultimedia.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtMultimediaQuick.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtMultimediaQuick.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtMultimediaWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtMultimediaWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtNetwork.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtNetwork.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtOpenGL.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtOpenGL.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtPdf.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtPdf.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtPositioning.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtPositioning.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtPrintSupport.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtPrintSupport.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQml.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQml.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQmlModels.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQmlModels.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQuickWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQuickWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSerialPort.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSerialPort.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSql.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSql.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtVirtualkeyboard.framework/Versions/Current/.
[...] SNIPP!!!!
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebEngineWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebEngineWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebView.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebView.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtXml.framework/Versions/Current/.
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtXml.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/.
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/Autoupdate
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/Autoupdate
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/Updater.app
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/Updater.app
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/XPCServices/org.sparkle-project.Downloader.xpc
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/XPCServices/org.sparkle-project.Downloader.xpc
--prepared:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/XPCServices/org.sparkle-project.InstallerLauncher.xpc
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/XPCServices/org.sparkle-project.InstallerLauncher.xpc
--validated:/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/.
/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app: valid on disk
/Volumes/emWave Pro/emWave Pro.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

Thanks for that. And, yeah, everything looks good there.

At this point I’m out of ideas. I need to take a proper look at your submission, and I don’t have time to do that here on DevForums. Please open a DTS tech support incident and we can pick this up in that context.

Share and Enjoy

Thanks. Will try that in a bit under my corporate account harald + @ + heartmath + .com Need to first recover from a little hospital stay after a "cardiac episode."

• Yikes! Best wishes on that front.

Add a Comment