Fatal Error: UIViewControllerRepresentables must be value types: ViewControllerResolver

Today, I made the first attempt at running an existing SwiftUI iOS app in Xcode 14.0 beta 2. In preview, simulator and device, attempting to display several of the views caused the a crash with this (simulator) warning:

SwiftUI/UIViewControllerRepresentable.swift:332: Fatal error: UIViewControllerRepresentables must be value types: ViewControllerResolver

2022-06-30 15:42:51.037629-0400 Shorty[8477:188610] SwiftUI/UIViewControllerRepresentable.swift:332: Fatal error: UIViewControllerRepresentables must be value types: ViewControllerResolver

The app runs in iOS 15 without this issue.

I have no idea where to start looking to fix this. How can I begin to troubleshoot this? I see no content from a search here or outside.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of davidcc Down vote post of davidcc
4k views

Replies

Does your app use UIViewControllerRepresentable? If so, is your data structure that uses UIViewControllerRepresentable a struct or a class?

The error message is saying you have a class that conforms to UIViewControllerRepresentable, and that you have to use a struct instead of a class.

Setting an exception breakpoint in Xcode and running the app can help you find where the app is crashing. Choose Debug > Breakpoints > Create Exception Breakpoint to set an exception breakpoint.

• Thanks for this. Yes, it has a search bar (pre-Apple's implementation) on a List that has worked until iOS 16. The search bar is a class of ViewControllerResolver, implementing UIViewControllerRepresentable.

• Thanks @szymczyk I appreciate!

Add a Comment

Thanks @szymczyk,

i had the exact same Problem (Fatal Error: UIViewControllerRepresentables must be value types:_). The problem was, that I was subclassing UIViewControllerRepresentable as a class instead of a struct. I'm not quit sure why this worked until updating to iOS16 but using struct does fix it.