Version 14.0 beta (14A5228q) - extremely laggier for me than XCode 13 release

I just downloaded XCode 14.0 beta (14A5228q) to use of the new "any Protocol" feature of Swift 5.7 and the XCode editor lagging with typing and scrolling to be much slower than release version of XCode... to the point it's definitely interfering with speed and flow of develop it. I tried unchecking "Show Live Issues in Source Code" in Project Settings, but that had no impact (and took several seconds to reflect change of checkbox state)

Anyone else experiencing this? Any idea what's causing it and any good workarounds?

I'm running it on an MBP M1 max 32GB.

Accepted Reply

I may have found the problem.

In XCode 13 I had 3 "desktops" with XCode open in Full Screen mode. Those windows were opened automatically in XCode Beta 14. I closed two of the three and suddenly all the lagginess stopped.

• Final note: After closing two of the three desktop full screen windows I had open from the release (13) version of XCode, the problem went away and never returned, even after opening a new full screen desktop window.

Add a Comment

Replies

CPU at 165%-175% in Activity Monitor even when idle (I'm not building anything and no simulators running)

• I opened a smaller project and I don't see the problem. Simply having the project I'm working open causes the CPU to shoot up to aforementioned level and stay that way (so far) indefinitely. I cleared derived data and build folder. Didn't resolve it.

Add a Comment

It doesn't happen with a smaller project, just the larger project I am working on so it's something about the code, which is very smooth editing and quick to compile on XCode 13.

I just found this this in the XCode 14 release notes, known issues:

"In macOS 12, first launch of Xcode 14 takes several minutes due to a validation scan. (89992778)"

I'm not sure if that's the issue.

I now have launched XCode, opened that project and will set it in another window and develop on XCode 13 and check back to see if it is a validation scan that will eventually complete. But so far it's too slow and choppy in time slices to use.

I may have found the problem.

In XCode 13 I had 3 "desktops" with XCode open in Full Screen mode. Those windows were opened automatically in XCode Beta 14. I closed two of the three and suddenly all the lagginess stopped.

• Final note: After closing two of the three desktop full screen windows I had open from the release (13) version of XCode, the problem went away and never returned, even after opening a new full screen desktop window.

Add a Comment