Ventura - Log in causes my Mac to reboot; Safe mode and Reinstall didn’t work

HI all,

Like many others, I accidentally installed Ventura on my M1 Max MBP but when I attempt to login on Ventura, the progress bar slowly moves as if trying to login, and then the systems reboots and does so every time so I can’t log in. I tried booting into Safe mode, but the same problem occurs, and I tried reinstalling Ventura and it still has the same problem.

This is on my M1 Max MBP w/32GB/4TB. I think the problem may have occurred because I didn’t have enough disk space for the Ventura update (It popped up a warning), but after I dismissed the warning it went ahead and installed anyway. So I don’t know if that prevented some of the necessary files from installing/updating or if the problem is related to something else.

I also tried to Restore from Time Machine using the Recovery Mode, and I am trying to restore from a snapshot on Macintosh HD (which is encrypted). But selecting Macintosh HD and then clicking Unlock does nothing. I am able to successfully unlock the disk while using Disk Utility and to Reinstall Ventura but Restore from Time Machine doesn’t want to cooperate.

Is there a way to create another User Account via the Terminal? So I can try logging in with a clean account created by Ventura?

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

Replies

Same issue with my Mac Mini Intel. Cannot find a way back out of it.

My 2018 MBP died badly with the beta, all I got was the notification that the beta was available I clicked on it, computer rebooted then installed, logged in once then it crashed, I never got in again, safe mode did not help (did not work), I then tried to recover my time machine backups that failed as it put ventura back on even though the backups were from a couple of days before. I deleted the partitions tried the recovery that failed too. only thing that worked was the internet recovery console, CTRL-OPT-CMD-R, installed the MacOS from when the MBP was new so it installed High Sierra, I then upgraded it to Monterey, then I used the time machine to recover the files, that worked.

I would not say this build was beta quality, more like alpha quality given ease at which it crashed.

Make sure you have good backups before putting this beta on, I lost 24 hours of my life on this mess.