Swift CPU usage for-loop

Hi,

I migrate an audio project using AVAudioEngine from Objective-C to Swift. 

All objects  are the same but in Swift instead of Objective-C.

The application uses the microphone input and analyses it via a renderCallback process calling the FFT  of the Accelerate framework.

The session has an important CPU usage:

- TheObjective-C version keeps the CPU usage at 8%

- The  Swift version is on average at 20%.

I have isolated the code that  originates the increase and it is due to a method analysing the returned samples in order to summarize them.

Parameters:

• arrMagCount = 12
  • arrMag is an array of float containing the magnitude of the frequency range related to the index
  • samplesCount = 4096
  • samples is a pointer of a float array delivering the magnitude of each bins used

Result:  Each arrMag[index] is updated with the magnitude related to the range of frequency underlying the index

The Objective-C version calls a C process for the  function

The Swift version was developped in swift since we cannot mix C code and Swift code in the same source

func arrMagFill(arrMagCount:Int, samplesCount:Int, samples:UnsafePointer<Double>, arrMag:UnsafeMutablePointer<Float>, maxFrequency:CGFloat) {

// Zeroes arrMag.

memset(arrMag, 0, arrMagCount)

for iBin in 0..<samplesCount {

for iLoop in 0..<arrMagCount {

if maxFrequency  <  g.FreqMetersRangeMaxValue[iLoop] {

arrMag[iLoop] = Float(samples[Int(iBin)])

break

}

}

}

}

When I use a C equivalent code via an Objective-C  bridge Header, the CPU usage is back to [8..12] on average.

Is there a way in Swift to obtain directly the same performances ?

Did you try to swap the 2 loops ?

I tried but the swap has no impact on the CPU usage and the result is not the one expected as it will fill all ranges in arrMag that are above the expected  one. When I fix this issue using a labeled-statement, the CPU usage remains high

Swift CPU usage for-loop

Q