Playgrounds crashes all the time, what do I do?

IPad Playgrounds has started to routinely crash on me. It started crashing while I was trying to work with protocol meta types, so I thought something about that feature was doing it, but I’ve moved onto other projects, or even brand new ones and Playgrounds keeps crashing.

It seems to have something to do with comments. If I’m just editing code it’ll keep going and the preview will update, but if I start to edit a comment I’ll see the compiler begin to spin and it crashes. I can post a video later if needed.

I’ve rebooted the device and it’s still crashing. What do I do? If I delete and reinstall Playgrounds will all my projects stay there or do I need to back them up somehow?

Also, this is iPad Playgrounds 4.1 on OS 15.4.1. There’s an OS update I haven’t installed yet, should I do that first.

I don't know🌝

Before you attempt to fix this, grab a sysdiagnose log and file a bug report about the problem. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

If I delete and reinstall Playgrounds will all my projects stay there … ?

In my experience Swift Playgrounds stores projects on iCloud Drive. Use the Files app to confirm that. If you have any playgrounds that are really important, use Files to make a copy elsewhere before going down that path.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks Quinn, good thing I’m a procrastinator and haven’t tried to reinstall yet 😊. I just sent a Bug report (FB10034623) and will backup and reinstall in a day or 2. If I only write code and use /**/ style comments then it doesn’t crash so have been plunking along like that lol.

Just an update… I’ve reinstalled and it still crashes unfortunately. Command-/ is safe to toggle commenting code though, just have to be careful to never ever edit after a //. So I’m working very carefully like that: only code, /**/, Command-/, and still had a couple crashes unrelated to this comment bug. At least I never noticed an accidental // edit. Anyways 4.1 has been really buggy for me and I hope 4.2 brings back my jewel. Or maybe my device is just too old 🤷🏻‍♀️

Playgrounds 4.1 always crashes a few seconds after launch without even showing a window rMBP late 2016 (won't get macOS 13) with macOS 12.6.1 (fresh installation 2 months ago without Migration Assistant, so no old prefs and stuff) Xcode 14.1 incl. command line tools

I can get Swift Playgrounds to crash fairly easily by adding maybe 7-8 playground pages to the same playground project. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. Comments crashing -- that's a new one.

Playgrounds crashes all the time, what do I do?

Q