Xcode 13.3.1 Install Required Components Crashes

Has anyone seen this? I have installed Xcode 13.3.1 and it tells me “Install required components” with the options of “Install” or “Quit”. If I don’t install them, I cannot use Xcode. If I install them, macOS Monterey crashes.

Have tried this with 13.3.1 downloaded from developer.apple.com and downloaded from the macOS App Store.

Details:

iMac Retina 5K 27” 2019 CPU 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 Memory 64 Gb macOS Monterey v 12.3.1

• In contrast, my 2021 M1 MacBookPro installs Xcode 13.3.1 and “required components” with no issues. macOS Monterey 12.3.1

• And when trying a fresh download of Xcode 13.3 on the iMac Core i9, it crashes when I click “Install Required Components” after starting Xcode.

Add a Comment

Replies

Update: Fixed the problem.

One of two possible Samsung-installed KEXTs was causing the crash when Xcode's "install required components" process was running. Unloaded both:

$ kmutil showloaded | grep -i samsung 

$ kmutil unload -b <samsung kext bundle ID>

The KEXTs were likely installed as a result of my use of a Samsung SSD connected via USB - the crash report stated

A kext releasing a(n) AppleUSBInterface has corrupted the registry. @OSObject.cpp

Now to reboot...