App crashing on startup only for iOS 12.x.

Hi eskimo, team.

I have a situation where my app is crashing on startup only for devices using iOS 12.x. I was able to manage to get the crash log from a device that I have however the log is not friendly at all.

Can anybody please shed some light? Ty

Accepted Reply

Thanks for the complete crash report.

Consider this:

Termination Description: DYLD, Symbol not found: ___chkstk_darwin | Referenced from: /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/64DCF0C0-B302-4C45-889D-82B603EC787A/MyApp.app/Frameworks/libswift_Concurrency.dylib (which was built for iOS 13.0) | Expected in: dyld shared cache | in /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/64DCF0C0-B302-4C45-889D-82B603EC787A/MyApp.app/Frameworks/libswift_Concurrency.dylib

I believe that this indicates a known issue in the Swift concurrency back deployment machinery. libswift_Concurrency.dylib was built with an iOS 13 deployment target, which causes it to reference a symbol (___chkstk_darwin) that’s not present on iOS 12. See this thread on Swift Forums has all the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• You really nailed it. You are the best ever. I went through all the thread you suggested and looking at my fastlane config I could realize that two versions back of my app that was working, was actually using this fastlane config: xcversion(version: "13.0")

Suddenly someone updated this to the below and I started having the issue: xcversion(version: "~> 13.0")

I just pinned back to 13.0 and fired my pipeline. I'm hopping that this will finally fix for now, until the latest xcode version (not the beta as mentioned in the post) has the final fix.

I will post you an update shortly but you really deserve all respect as in so many lines of crash report, you pointed out a specific content that led us to the root cause. You really rock. Ty!

• Comming back as I promised to say that it worked. Downgrading my xcode to 13.0 made the point and for now, at least until we have the fix not as beta, I will keep my pipeline using 13.0. Thanks a million.

Add a Comment

Replies

Thanks for the complete crash report.

Consider this:

Termination Description: DYLD, Symbol not found: ___chkstk_darwin | Referenced from: /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/64DCF0C0-B302-4C45-889D-82B603EC787A/MyApp.app/Frameworks/libswift_Concurrency.dylib (which was built for iOS 13.0) | Expected in: dyld shared cache | in /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/64DCF0C0-B302-4C45-889D-82B603EC787A/MyApp.app/Frameworks/libswift_Concurrency.dylib

I believe that this indicates a known issue in the Swift concurrency back deployment machinery. libswift_Concurrency.dylib was built with an iOS 13 deployment target, which causes it to reference a symbol (___chkstk_darwin) that’s not present on iOS 12. See this thread on Swift Forums has all the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• You really nailed it. You are the best ever. I went through all the thread you suggested and looking at my fastlane config I could realize that two versions back of my app that was working, was actually using this fastlane config: xcversion(version: "13.0")

Suddenly someone updated this to the below and I started having the issue: xcversion(version: "~> 13.0")

I just pinned back to 13.0 and fired my pipeline. I'm hopping that this will finally fix for now, until the latest xcode version (not the beta as mentioned in the post) has the final fix.

I will post you an update shortly but you really deserve all respect as in so many lines of crash report, you pointed out a specific content that led us to the root cause. You really rock. Ty!

• Comming back as I promised to say that it worked. Downgrading my xcode to 13.0 made the point and for now, at least until we have the fix not as beta, I will keep my pipeline using 13.0. Thanks a million.

Add a Comment

Hi all,

We use Xcode 13.4.1 version, and on our apps latest version we got this error -

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:  EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Description: DYLD, Symbol not found: ___chkstk_darwin | Referenced from: /var/containers/Bundle/Application/F2825FAF-011D-47DC-950A-874E284724D1/MY-APP.app/MY-APP | Expected in: dyld shared cache | in /var/containers/Bundle/Application/F2825FAF-011D-47DC-950A-874E284724D1/MY-APP.app/MY-APP
Triggered by Thread:  0

It's the same symbol ___chkstk_darwin but I can see that we have libswift_Concurrency.dylib in the stacktrace -

0x108790000 - 0x1087cffff libswift_Concurrency.dylib arm64 <8a821ebe157b3186b9c04ea6ec2c923e> /var/containers/Bundle/Application/F2825FAF-011D-47DC-950A-874E284724D1/MY-APP.app/Frameworks/libswift_Concurrency.dylib

We had swift concurrency in our app on the previous versions almost a year, it started crashing only on our recent latest version.

The problem is that it's not crashing when create an ad-hoc ipa, it's only crashing in live version, we also can't test the app on the testflight since testflight app is iOS 13+ now.

Please help us resolve this issue, our app is crashing on all iOS 12 devices, thanks.