Can't open Xcode

When I try to launch Xcode I a dialog saying: You can’t open the application “Xcode” because it is being updated. The dialog has a small "?" button which opens a helpful blank window.

In the App Store App when I open the Xcode page the Download/Open/Update button is replaced with a rotating endless progress bar which goes on, well, endlessly.

I have tried restarting, closing the store_downloadd process

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) Mac OSX 12.3 The version that is trying to update is 13.3

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Niro1 Down vote post of Niro1
10k views
  • Identical issue here, after there was a Command Line Tools for XCode update. Rebooted 4 times over the course of 30 minutes. I suppose I will now wait 3 to 4 hours. Very annoying.

• Ok, I have to confirm: I went back to the Mac after about 5 hours, tried to run XCode, and this time it started. If you run into this problem, you may want to give the XCode 1 to 5 hours to update.

• Same for me. If I open the App Store is says there is 1 update and when I click the update link it says there is an update for Xcode (which I've already updated) but the usual blue Update button says Open. If I try to open it is tells me Xcode can't be opened because it is updating. I've never seen as many bugs/problems in Apple products as I have in the last few years.

Replies

A second restart resolved the issue.

Or maybe it was just some process that took 4-5 hours to complete, I is resolved now

I have installed Xcode from "https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=Xcode" but when I try to open the application from Launchpad it says, "You can’t open the application “Xcode” because it is being updated." I closed the application completely and ran it from the Applications folder and it's working.

Please help me with this error "You can’t open the application “Xcode” because it is being updated."

Very annoying. The last couple of MacOS updates (I just updated to 12.4 on my 2019 Intel MacBook Pro) seem to have broken the App Store progress circle - it just spins and spins and then suddenly it's done. But this is the first time an app has has been declared "done" and then it isn't.

When I opened up Activity Monitor / top in Terminal I saw "installd" is doing something. And as I write this it just completed! Here's a screenshot of the CPU usage after 5 hours within minutes of completion, just to give an idea of how much CPU time to expect.

This has hampered my productivity more than one occasion, since I didn't anticipate the update to eat up most of a day, during which I couldn't compile. Going forward, I will definitely be kicking off any updates to Apple developer tools before bed and letting it crunch away overnight.

I've been trying to get this fixed for over a week now but to no avail. I turn off the Mac, reboot it, try and delete Xcode but its still saying that I can't use the application as its being updated. I will have to just keep it open for 4-5 hours tomorrow as suggested but I'm not sure what else I can do. Can't even do any coding today as it won't open.

Ditto. Apple, this is pathetic. I mean, I'm using your vaunted hardware and I have a 1Gbps pipe in/out. What can you possibly be doing that takes so much time – downloading the entire contents of my hard drive? Trying to decrypt my encrypted information? Using my cycles to mine bitcoin?

Constructive criticism: stop treating your developers like you do your sheep in a TV commercial: tell us what you're doing; add a progress bar somewhere; provide an estimate of remaining time. Srsly, just hire a 10th grader to code these things for you.

Same problem. Have been installing whole day but still can't open. Now I have to re-download Xcode to re-install it. So disgusting!

Open activity monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app), switch to the CPU tab and search for storedownloadd and installnd. If that process is present and you aren't downloading or installing anything using the Mac App Store, you can kill it using upper cross button .

Thanks

• Killing these two processes did the job for me. Not sure if something got corrupted when the app was being updated. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions!

Add a Comment

I was trapped by this error even though I installed Xcode 14 release via the xip and that installation worked fine for two days through several reboots. Even after deleting the newly non-functional installation, the App Store update process was still spinning forever. After a restart, I decompressed the xip again, copied it over, and boom Xcode now works.

Forc ecquit sequence does not show anything relating to the update. I went to the activity monitor and force quit 'appstoreupdate' (or similar). This succeeded and was followed by a jumping xcode dock icon. When i invoked this it gave me an 'additional components' install window which took about a minute. After that xcode is working with no updates showing on the App Store.

Same issue....no clue when I can actually get back to work since I'm getting absolutely ZERO feedback on whats going on here.

This is weird, I also get this problem, but actually AppStore said, it is already updated to Xcode 14.2

Still I get that error message: "You can't open the program Xcode because it is updating".

I still use macOS Monterey 12.6.1

I tried to run Xcode from command line (Xcode/Contents/MacOS/Xcode) and it works fine.

So I deinstall and reinstall Xcode 14.2 and afterwards it works just fine.