NEHotspotConfiguration

Hello, I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions i have, since Apple's documentation does not provide an answer. I'm simply just wanting to connect to a WiFi and disconnect from my app using these methods from the NEHotspotConfigurationManager:

-applyConfiguration:

-removeConfigurationForSSID:

-getConfiguredSSIDsWithCompletionHandler:

-fetchCurrentWithCompletionHandler:

From this documentation, nothing mentions needing a special entitlement :https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension/wi-fi_configuration?language=objc

-Can someone please tell me if I need one for using those methods above?

-What 'Capabilities' do i need to add in Xcode for those items above and to add to my profile? Right now I have 'Access Wifi Information' and 'Hotspot' but I'm unsure if I need Hotspot, since I'm not creating a VPN or my own hotspot, I'm just connecting to a specific WiFi from the app.

Half of the comments on stack overflow or here say conflicting things, and I'd rather not waste a low level help from Apple on this. Thank you

Accepted Reply

So just wondering if I needed to add 'Network Extension' or some other class possibly?

This API needs the Hotspot Configuration entitlement (com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotConfiguration). If you open the sample in Xcode you’ll see that reflected in both the .entitlements file and the Signing & Capabilities editor.

This entitlement does not need specific approval from Apple to use. Any (paid) developer account can use it. See the table in Developer Account Help > Supported capabilities (iOS).

It is, like all entitlements on iOS, restricted, that is, it must be authorised by a provisioning profile. See What exactly is a provisioning profile? for more background on that.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

I recommend that you start with the NEHotspotConfiguration Sample.

Share and Enjoy

• Thank you, however I am not having an issue at all implementing this, it works great in testing through our enterprise account (sign with enterprise cert). the issue comes when i'm submitting to the App Store, TestFlight will not install the app, and looking through the logs when installing says invalid certificate, which is leading me to what 'Capabilities' I need in the app as well as on the developer App ID itself. From your Sample, that still does not say I need a special Entitlement at all

So just wondering if I needed to add 'Network Extension' or some other class possibly? Looking at tons of other code examples, no one mentions what other Entitlements or Capabilities are needed. Thank you

Add a Comment

So just wondering if I needed to add 'Network Extension' or some other class possibly?

This API needs the Hotspot Configuration entitlement (com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotConfiguration). If you open the sample in Xcode you’ll see that reflected in both the .entitlements file and the Signing & Capabilities editor.

This entitlement does not need specific approval from Apple to use. Any (paid) developer account can use it. See the table in Developer Account Help > Supported capabilities (iOS).

It is, like all entitlements on iOS, restricted, that is, it must be authorised by a provisioning profile. See What exactly is a provisioning profile? for more background on that.

Share and Enjoy

Thank you, after several attempts at doing what you mentioned above, I noticed there was an update to Xcode from 13.2 to 13.3. After updating and completely removing all capabilities in Xcode and Developer portal on the App ID, and re-enabling them, the issue seems resolved. The Hotspot Configuration and Access Wi-Fi do not need a special entitlement, rather just the normal entitlement and added to the provisioning profile. Thanks