"Failed to prepare device for development." with Xcode 13.2.1 and iOS 15.4 device

I'm getting message "This operation can fail if the version of the OS on the device is incompatible with the installed version of Xcode. You may also need to restart your mac and device in order to correctly detect compatibility." when I try to run an Xcode iOS project on my iPhone 8. I'm using Xcode 13.2.1 and iOS 15.4 on my iPhone 8.

This post in this forums gives the solution to restart the iOS device and I did that and also restarted the mac. My Mac has macOS Monterey 12.3. My Xcode, Mac, and iPhone 8 all have the most recent updates. That post gives an answer for the same problem but with iOS 15.2.

I have recently changed settings in my iPhone 8 in Accessibility. Could that affect anything?

Accepted Reply

You need to update to Xcode 13.3 to run and debug projects on a device running iOS 15.4. The following article has a more detailed explanation:

https://www.swiftdevjournal.com/dealing-with-failed-to-prepare-device-for-development-error-message-in-xcode/

• Yeah. I assumed my Xcode was up to date since I had checked the check boxes for both "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" in System Preferences->Software Update and "Install app updates from the App Store" in Advanced? I am updating Xcode from App Store now.

Thank you.

Add a Comment

Replies

You need to update to Xcode 13.3 to run and debug projects on a device running iOS 15.4. The following article has a more detailed explanation:

https://www.swiftdevjournal.com/dealing-with-failed-to-prepare-device-for-development-error-message-in-xcode/

• Yeah. I assumed my Xcode was up to date since I had checked the check boxes for both "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" in System Preferences->Software Update and "Install app updates from the App Store" in Advanced? I am updating Xcode from App Store now.

Thank you.

Add a Comment

First, make sure you have updated to macOS Monterey (version 12.3.1), then update to Xcode 13.3.1. This is a lengthy is process, so make sure you are not in the middle of something when you start these updates.

FYI. I can connect iPhone SE2 iOS 15.4.1 to Xcode 13.2.1 on Intel Mac Big Sur 11.6.5.

at this point i think apple just make money of devs with all this absolute ********. apple just works my ***.