Songs are not always added to Playlist when using Music iOS

First let me state that this is not an issue with MusicKit, but I've raised a radar on this and have received 0 response, which is, sadly, kinda normal.

However, it's kind of an important issue and my app relies on this feature to work consistently, so I thought I'd mention it and that the amazing @JoeKun might have an idea how to escalate it.

Here's the problem in the iOS Music app:

1. Add a song to an existing playlist
  2. Add another song to the same playlist
  3. Add another
  4. View the playlist

More often than not, one of the newly added songs is missing in the playlist to which the song was added.

There are entries in Recently Added for newly added songs that are not in the playlist where the songs were added.

1. View the songs in the Music app on Mac.
  2. Query the playlist to get all songs via the Apple Music API.

The Music app on Mac and the API results align, yet differ from iOS Music app.

There are entries in Recently Added for newly added songs that are not in the playlist where the songs were added.

In summary, when adding a song to a playlist using the iOS Music app, it sometimes does not add the song.

For the record, I am awaiting the confirmation message each time a song is added.

Adding tracks via the macOS Music app, seems to always work. This issue only occurs with the iOS app.

Replies

Hello @Kimfucious,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue with the iOS Music app.

Do you still have a reference of the Feedback Assistant ticket number?

Thanks,

Add a Comment

Hi @JoeKun.

Is there any update on this issue?

My app adds Apple Music tracks to playlists and is seeing a similar problem.

Basically it gets an http 20x reply (indicating success) after adding tracks to a playlist but some of the tracks are not actually getting added. Seems to have started in the last couple of weeks and only impacts certain users.

Am very concerned in case this is a new server api release which is being rolled-out to a few initial servers. A lot of apps depend on this endpoint and it seems completely broken at the moment for impacted users.

Thanks!

Hello @dutton and @Kimfucious,

Regrettably, I had not seen @Kimfucious's Feedback Assistant ticket in this thread; but I noticed it now, and I moved it to a team who might be able to help us understand the root cause of the issue you're describing.

However, @dutton, I'm not sure the issue you're encountering is the same as the one described by @Kimfucious. So I would recommend you file your own ticket on Feedback Assistant, including a sysdiagnose taken shortly after reproducing the issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

• Hi @JoeKun.

I’ve just opened FB10030197 for this. It contains a detailed write up, including log files, which demonstrates the issue. It’s a very real problem: you add tracks to a playlist, get a 204 back (success), then query the playlist and the tracks are not there.

I actually opened a TSI for this 2 days ago as it’s critical to my business. So far I’ve heard nothing back.

Add a Comment

@JoeKun, thanks for following up. I think maybe mentions in comments don't send notifications. Not sure.

Anyhow, please keep me posted, and this is still an issue as of recently.

This is wild. For the first time in an exceptionally long time, I actually got a response on the Feedback Assistant regarding an issue I opened (thanks @JoeKun!).

They wanted me to reproduce the problem, which I had painstakingly done in text in the ticket.

Regardless, I decided to make a screen cast of the issue, so as to illustrate the issue, and...

The problem is magically gone!

I do need to say that this WAS a problem, and I swear it was still happening within the last month (I've been busy on other stuff, so I can't be sure of when it last didn't work).

That said, @dutton, can you please check on your side to see if this issue has been resolved? Much appreciated!

Imma gonna keep testing, but if this keeps working, I'll close this issue once confirmed.

FYI: @dutton @JoeKun,

After testing, the problem still exists, and I've updated FB9857866 accordingly.