XCode: Unable to Load Author Information

I have a workspace with several projects inside. Everything in git repository. I enable Authors view in the editor.

Actual result:

Files in some of the projects do have authors and everything works, while in other projects, it just writes Unable to Load Author Information. As far as I can see, this depends on the project. All files in one project show correct info, while all files in another don't show it at all. While all the projects in the workspace are in git repository and everything else works fine.

Expected result:

All files under git repository should show authors information from git regardless of the project.

Is there anything I can try to fix this or at least gather debug information that would be helpful for a bug report?

Accepted Reply

I had the same problem - which appears to be the path of the file (in the .pbx was not correct because of case sensitivity.

If you look at the file's "File Inspector" (i.e., the window on the right of the code), see if the path shown matches the exact path (case sensitive) of the file's location. Mine had a lowercase letter for the folder (e.g., "/foo/..") but on the OS it was actually "/Foo/.."

I quit Xcode, then using a text editor I use searched my project.pbxproj for "path = foo". I found it in a section listing my problematic files. Change it to Foo.

Start Xcode, load the workspace, do a clean and everything seems to work

• Wow, so cool! Thanks a lot! :) In my case it was wrong case of path inside *.xcworkspace/contents.xcworkspacedata.

• I am having this same issue in Xcode 13/14. It's different in that the authors information is shown with one clone of the repo. But a different clone of the same repo the authors information is not showing.

I have tried removing Derived Data directory and full clean on the git repo, but I still can fix the problem

Add a Comment

Replies

I had the same problem - which appears to be the path of the file (in the .pbx was not correct because of case sensitivity.

If you look at the file's "File Inspector" (i.e., the window on the right of the code), see if the path shown matches the exact path (case sensitive) of the file's location. Mine had a lowercase letter for the folder (e.g., "/foo/..") but on the OS it was actually "/Foo/.."

I quit Xcode, then using a text editor I use searched my project.pbxproj for "path = foo". I found it in a section listing my problematic files. Change it to Foo.

Start Xcode, load the workspace, do a clean and everything seems to work

• Wow, so cool! Thanks a lot! :) In my case it was wrong case of path inside *.xcworkspace/contents.xcworkspacedata.

• I am having this same issue in Xcode 13/14. It's different in that the authors information is shown with one clone of the repo. But a different clone of the same repo the authors information is not showing.

I have tried removing Derived Data directory and full clean on the git repo, but I still can fix the problem

Add a Comment

I has similar problem, except "Unable to Load Author Information", Xcode also wasn't showing Source Control changes. For me restart of macOS solved the problem.

me too

the reason is i do git init twice in the project path. keep your project source control has one repositories