Controller not working in macOS 12.3

• Hi Wisky_pro. Which apps or games are you trying to use your Xbox controller in? Would you happen to know what kind of Xbox controller you have?

• Can attest to this issue, a DualSense Controller paired over bluetooth does nothing after updating to macOS 12.3. Tested with multiple Apple Arcade games (e.g. Tetris Beat that supports controllers that used to work perfectly before 12.3) and multiple other non-Apple Arcade games all of which supported controllers before 12.3.

• Thanks the_lucifer. I saw your feedback report.

Apple Recommended

• Problem still persists. Running 13.0.1 here, and cannot get my switch-controller to work.

Add a Comment

Replies

Just adding that I'm having the same issue. I've tried Xbox One, PS4, and a generic controller that I used to use frequently and none have worked. I've tried all of them corded and Bluetooth with no luck. The game I've been trying to get it to work with is Final Fantasy XIV by Square Enix. I've been seeing advertisements for another new OS update, any word if we'll receive a fix before or even with the new update?

Same issue. I have not even been able to use a WIRED xbox 360 controller OR any bluetooth controllers with any of my steam games, as well as any of my other games including emulators.

Updating to Monterey has completely ended all gaming on my computer. Thanks a LOT apple. I will never buy apple again.

PS Dual Sense Controller connects via Bluetooth but doesn't work. Monterey OS 12.3 on MacBook Pro 2021

Tested with the next games:

• Feist
  • Spidersaurs

Just popping by to say that this is fixed in 12.4 (21F79) I had to delete the bluetooth device and read it but its now working fine for me.

Hate to be another “yeah also me as well” in this thread but apple for some reason doesn’t care about us gamers, another blatant sign of discrimination (this is a joke lol, I know some of you are gonna take that seriously, not you tho, ur cool). But yeah anyways it’s weird to say you’re gonna start putting an emphasis on gaming but then somehow completely fumble controller support. You’re better than this apple, I really don’t get why this is such an issue that it’s ran unresolved still to this day, hell by the looks of it it probably isn’t resolved by the time you’re reading this. Really doesn’t seem like A huge issue to fix, but I don’t know nothing bout programming or nothing so idrk. Anyways, I’m trying to connect a switch pro controller to my M1 MacBook Pro on Monterey 12.4 and it says connected but doesn’t work on anything. Something I noticed also was that when connected to my windows desktop the lights at the bottom said player one like it would on switch, but when connected to my MacBook they stay scrolling side to side like it’s not really connected. Also bonus weird stuff, I had a wired controller before this one that worked with itch.io games like Celeste and a short hike but after switching to Bluetooth these two exceptions are not exceptions anymore. Alright thank you for reading this if you’re just some dude who has the same issue, if you’re an apple employee, thank you as well but like not as much, you guy’s obviously haven’t been doing enough to tell whoever you need to in order to get this issue resolved so it has continued to go unresolved. Do you gain something by having no controller support on Mac? Cause you guys act like you gain something by having no controller support on mac.

I am here again, 3 months after my first comment. Same problem on 12.5. First comment made by me on page 1 of the thread.

DualShock 4 connected to Bluetooth to a MacBook Pro 2021 14in. Tested some games on Geforce Now on day 1 and worked fine. On day 2, it stopped working. I tried removing the device and pairing again, it shows it's connected but doesn't work. It's disappointing because I paid a subscription to GFN thinking I could play with the controller.

MacOS Monterey 12.5. Hope this gets solved soon.

• Sorry, just noticed the MacBook was automatically updated to 12.6 on day 2. So on day 1 with MacOS 12.5 it was working well. I also tried other games that aren't on GFN and an online gamepad tester, tried both Bluetooth and USB approaches. Nothing works. The MacBook does recognize the controller in System preferences (USB/wireless controller).

Add a Comment

I've been trying to use a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller that I've had for a few years with MacOS Monteray 12.6. It connects, but doesn't recognize any inputs. I've tried disconnecting (pressing remove in the Bluetooth settings) and reconnecting, but nothing works. I have a Mac Mini with an M1 chip.

• Problem still persists. Running 13.0.1 here, and cannot get my switch-controller to work.

Add a Comment

I'm on MacOS 13 Ventura. 10 months have gone by and still now fix? My xbox controller works fine on my 2016 MacBook Pro running an older operating system, but not on my brand new Mac Studio.

• Hi Narrowings. Have you filled a feedback report? What is the number?

• I did submit a feedback report.

Add a Comment

Still running into this issue, FB11971269, on macOS 13.2 on a 2023 MacBook Pro M2 Max.

• Thanks kajarah

Add a Comment

This is ridiculous. Upgraded to Ventura. Issue still persists. And yes "framework engineer", I did submit a feedback report.

Same issue with Ventura 13.2.1, Xbox Elite Controller perfectly well recognised by Bluetooth but games I tested such as Cat Quest II detects the GamePad but I cannot do anything... Only way is to quit the game and turn off Bluetooth then I can play with Keyboard (annoying as hell).

This issue has been ongoing for more than a year......... I thought Apple was doing efforts to bring games to macOS since you can use softwares from iOS... M1 computers are great but seems abandoned for support on that side. Apple please..........

• That sounds like Cat Quest II is not using Game Controller framework. The Game Controller framework fully supports the Xbox Elite v2 controller connected by Bluetooth. But if a game chooses to not use Game Controller framework, the game's developer must write & maintain their own code specifically for handling the Xbox Elite v2 controller. You should contact the developer of Cat Quest II.

Add a Comment

damn girl, i spent an hour reading to the end to see if there was a solution and got to a month ago with nothing 🥺👍🏻 thanks apple

• Hello. Have you submitted a feedback report? Would you share the feedback ID?

Add a Comment

Google Stadia controller in Bluetooth mode was working great, and then stopped today June 4 2023 (Mac Mini M1). Controller will connect and then disconnect, causing all other bluetooth devices connected to my Mini to reconnect also, this will continue (connect, disconnect, reconnect all devices, repeat) until stopped by turning off the controller. Controller works great on my iPad Mini and iPhone.

• Hi tavin. Please follow these steps to enable Bluetooth diagnostics on your Mac, reproduce the issue, and submit a feedback report under the Bluetooth category. Thanks.

Add a Comment