React Native vs Swift for building an app

Thinking of building my first iOS app and was curious the current consensus on using React Native verses Swift / Swift UI for my first app.

I've written a few React web apps so have more familiarity there and with the web but want to do it the right way. Any advice would be great!

Accepted Reply

Depends what you are looking for.

The concepts are different: https://medium.com/swift-blondie/swiftui-vs-react-native-84b4e2103429

React has a longer existence than SwiftUI, so it is probably more developed (there are still many things missing in SwiftUI). And it allows for multi platform development (its main interest). But it misses some important capabilities.

But in the longer run, SwiftUI will likely be faster to cope with the evolutions of iOS.

If you are not looking for multi platform, I would clearly recommend SwiftUI. But that's just a personal opinion, not the result of any benchmark.

• Thanks for the insights. I'm guessing React Native would be quicker to get setup and running.

Another nooby question, is Swift UI a language separate from Swift itself? Or is SwiftUI more like what React is to JS. Or is it more like what a component library is to React (like Material UI)?

• it is like react to js @xcvxcvxcv

• @xcvxcvxcv The term SwiftUI is confusing. SwiftUI uses Swift to build UI. Just as if you called UIKit SwiftUIKit (but UIKit works with objective C as well). So SwiftUI is at the level of UIKit, but with a lot more functionalities to automatically manage states of views.

Add a Comment

Replies

Depends what you are looking for.

The concepts are different: https://medium.com/swift-blondie/swiftui-vs-react-native-84b4e2103429

React has a longer existence than SwiftUI, so it is probably more developed (there are still many things missing in SwiftUI). And it allows for multi platform development (its main interest). But it misses some important capabilities.

But in the longer run, SwiftUI will likely be faster to cope with the evolutions of iOS.

If you are not looking for multi platform, I would clearly recommend SwiftUI. But that's just a personal opinion, not the result of any benchmark.

• Thanks for the insights. I'm guessing React Native would be quicker to get setup and running.

Another nooby question, is Swift UI a language separate from Swift itself? Or is SwiftUI more like what React is to JS. Or is it more like what a component library is to React (like Material UI)?

• it is like react to js @xcvxcvxcv

• @xcvxcvxcv The term SwiftUI is confusing. SwiftUI uses Swift to build UI. Just as if you called UIKit SwiftUIKit (but UIKit works with objective C as well). So SwiftUI is at the level of UIKit, but with a lot more functionalities to automatically manage states of views.

Add a Comment