Automator Action Testing Fails with Could Not Attach to PID

Creating an Automator Action in ObjC with Xcode 13.2.1 after following the method in Technical Q&A QA1885. The project builds without errors but testing stops with an error "Could not attach to PID XXXX" (see details below). It says to look in the Console for help "near the debugserver entries" and I don't know what that means or where that might exist.

So, is there an update since 2015 on testing Automator actions? Or is there some other Xcode setting or privacy setting I need to set?

Could not attach to pid : “15665”
Domain: IDEDebugSessionErrorDomain
Code: 3
Failure Reason: attach failed (Not allowed to attach to process.  Look in the console messages (Console.app), near the debugserver entries, when the attach failed.  The subsystem that denied the attach permission will likely have logged an informative message about why it was denied.)

Accepted Reply

You’re seeing this problem because the Automator app is built in to the system and thus protected by SIP. See this post.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks. I don't think I'll file a bug report since this hasn't changed in 6 years. Tried the newly-signed duplicate Automator app and it seems to work for my purposes. Before this I just liberally logged variables, etc. and read the results in Console (after some time trying to find things there), i.e. http://macosautomation.com/automator/xcode-swift-template/index.html

Add a Comment

Replies

BTW, I also took a completely empty (no additional code, nothing added to blank xib) Automator Action template (found in MacOS) in Xcode 13.2.1 and followed the Technical Q&A QA1885 exactly and still get this error.

You’re seeing this problem because the Automator app is built in to the system and thus protected by SIP. See this post.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks. I don't think I'll file a bug report since this hasn't changed in 6 years. Tried the newly-signed duplicate Automator app and it seems to work for my purposes. Before this I just liberally logged variables, etc. and read the results in Console (after some time trying to find things there), i.e. http://macosautomation.com/automator/xcode-swift-template/index.html

Add a Comment