Older macs on BigSur won't be able to develop iOS 15.4+ apps anymore?

Since Xcode 13.3 Beta can only be installed on macOS Monterey 12 or later, according to the Xcode 13.3 Beta Release Notes:

Xcode 13.3 beta includes SDKs for iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4, tvOS 15.4, watchOS 8.5, and macOS Monterey 12.3

Xcode 13.3 beta requires a Mac running macOS Monterey 12 or later.

Does this mean that older macs that can only run BigSur (e.g. Macbook Pro 2014) cannot develop apps for iOS 15.4+?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of calin Down vote post of calin
5.1k views

Replies

You can make apps that will run on iOS 15.4+ on Big Sur. An app you make with Xcode 13.2 will run on iOS 15.4.

What you won't be able to do is use anything Apple adds in the iOS 15.4 and future SDKs. Another future problem you will have is that around April 2023 Apple will require (most likely) App Store submissions to be built with Xcode 14, which won't run on macOS 11.

Yes, what I meant is being able to run/test apps on devices running iOS 15.4+, or on the simulator running those versions.

Basically you won't be able to use iOS 15.4+ SDKs at all while developing.

This is definitely not good. A 2014 Macbook Pro is totally capable of running Monterey. Even more so that the 2014 Mac Mini is still supported by Apple to update to Monterey. A decision that is really hard to understand...

Thanks for your reply.

• I have to agree, this is ridiculous. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro in pristine condition that that is now basically no good for iOS development. I understand Apple is keen to deprecate the Intel hardware as quickly as possible but this feels like forced obsolescence.

Add a Comment

I have a iMac 4K Retina 5k. 27-inch Late 2014 in pristine condition too. It is virtually worthless now as I cannot upgrade to Monterey from Big Sur in order to install Xcode 14. My planned app deployment is now effectively cancelled. Planned obsolescence during a recession is not a good move.

I too have a iMac 4k retina 5k, late 2014 that is perfectly great development machine. I have to agree with the others, I need a newer computer to run a version of Xcode 14+, to test my applications. However the compiled app would run my device that is not supported for testing? It's crazy and the waste being generated by forced obsolescence should be carefully considered against profitability. Clearly your customers are the masses and developer are integral part of enriching Apple products. This decision feels very alienating to developers who are lovingly building in the Apple ecosystem. Are there any programs to help offset developers who find themselves in this predicament?