Swift Playgrounds 4 on Ipad

I am teaching Develop in Swift Fundamentals soon and would like to know if this course can be fully taught using the iPad?

Replies

Yes, it's a lot more friendly to write Swift code on the new Swift Playgrounds 4 app. Errors are more straightforward and fixes are provided, which help beginners.

• The biggest challenge is that your screen space is limited, but it does force you to be more focused because you can only do one thing at a time (read documentation/stack overflow in Safari or write code in Swift Playgrounds).
    • Using an external display will mirror the Swift Playground, which you can lower the font size to fit more code on screen.
  • The new Swift app package is a quick way to prototype SwiftUI on narrow screen size, and also check how it adapts to larger screens. It makes it more fun to fast prototype a UI, and then you can tap it to see how it's working right on the device.
  • Previously with Swift Playgrounds 3, I found myself running into corner cases trying to get my SwiftUI designs to work because there's no "app canvas", so you need to use a fixedSize() to fix some quirks.
    • I had a lot more frustration prototyping UI on the old Swift Playgrounds 3, so the new version is 100% better for fast prototyping.
    • Previous error messages were not verbose, or clear, so the new Swift Playgrounds 4 feels a lot better.
  • You can import those Swift App Playgrounds on Xcode 13.2.1, but can't use them with the Mac Swift Playgrounds 4 (which may get fixed in an update?).